Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
An idea that I am wondering if is a good one 

Stillfire, I'm sorry, I had to laugh! this will be my 26th Fest and I still lose my tent sometimes!! It used to be every single year I would lose my way at least once--the true makings of a tradition! Last few years I've camped almost ON the Easy Street Trail, so some years I don't actually lose my tent anymore. But a couple yrs ago, I was taking a short cut thru the Zone--middle of the day, mind you--and off to my right I saw the cutest set up of a real swimming pool with pool toys, the whole bit. Wowza! Walked on a bit and then, off to my left I see another swimming pool. Hmmm... The very same pool toys!!! I actually had to ask directions to the trail, from a sweet young thing that was very nice to what she must have thought was a Festie Virgin.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:26 pm

thats why i always camp in the same area and close to a trail. although i have gone to the janes in the middle of the night without a flashlight and managed to find myself on the top of workshop meadow in some bushes. really don't know how that happened.

Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

I got all excited when I found a remote control light to clip onto my tent. AND it was on sale. I tested it and it just doesn't work and the store is out of them and not restocking. Maybe this is why it was on sale.
I had grand ideas about how to mark my trail but haven't figured it out still. I will be ok (I hope). If by some mistake I enter the wrong camping area please forgive me... I'm new here.

Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:00 am

thanks everyone for the commiserations on directional challenges. someone made up a word for me recently, and i now call myself dysperegrinated! it means lacking sense of direction, or loosely something to that effect. it is often an embarrassing thing for me, so i am going to make it an intention for fest to not be embarrassed by it. thanks!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:21 am

macosta, that made me laugh!

and El? how could you possibly loose your site? LOL

oh wait ... last year I got lost coming back from a midnight trip to the janes. HOW could that possibly have happened???? I walked back & forth and back & forth a dozen times until I found the familiar tree I needed to turn by.

and I had camped in the same exact spot 3 or 4 years in a row even!

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am

I am going to use glow bracelets and put a torn rag through it and tie around some trees to lead my way home.

Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:00 pm

I was disappointed in my remote light too. For one thing, I thought it was heavier than I wanted, but I liked the idea of the remote control to turn it on. It worked a couple times,then time to change battery but it had those coin sized batts and you need the little plastic batt holder to insert it. Never got it functioning again.

I bought a handful of yellow flags on wire sticks, like the power company uses. I put the first on as close to the trail as possible w/o making it a trip hazard, then every few feet to my site. Not more than 30 feet off the trail, but I swear it's a life saver.

Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:05 pm

OK, so now that we've been spammed?

I will be bringing a paper lantern that runs on 2 AA batteries and a on & off switch. I will turn it on when I get dressed for night stage and then find my way home later at night.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm
Profile WWW

Remember the wonders of reflective tape. . .it sits there looking innocuous until lights shine on it and then it is bright and reflective. I know my way home to my fest tent really well now, but when I first went to fest, I attached small pieces of reflective tape to little branches/bushes on the way to my fest tent. And, I had a flag with reflective stripes hanging from my tarp line. Now I just have a few pieces of reflective tape on my tarp line to guide me for the last bit of "off the trail" travel to my tent.

And, OF COURSE, I am VERY careful to retrieve each little piece of tape before I leave the land. . .

and. . .for those who are thinking of using the disposable glow bracelets/sticks/etc. . .please remember that they are one-time use things that create a lot of plastic trash. . .

Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Place something colorful and distinctive a few feet ABOVE your tent so it is visible from a distance. Inflatable items such as toys are great-- take up little space packed, brightly colored, easy to hang.

Same with a light if you feel it necessary to use one, and hanging it above allows you to use a dimmer one. also you can use a light with a distinctive shape or color. Again, something collapsible like cover with a chinese-type lantern can work here (of a material that can get rained on)

But if you follow the first suggestion, there often is enough ambient light from other campsites that you don't need to use a light of your own.

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:13 pm

I am EXTREMELY directionally challenged. I used several of the ideas mentioned;
*Battery Operated “Peace” lights hung in the trees around my tent (they didn’t give off much light, but enough that I could see them from the path or the non-path when I turned too soon the first night) With an on/off switch I just cut them on when I left & off when I got back.
*Camped within visual distance of a main pathway (not the road) and near major land marks like the Janes, parking lot, showers, etc
*Hung bright yellow GIANT butterflies (purchased at a party store in the clearance section) in the trees near the places I needed to turn. Hung high enough as to not hit anyone in the head, but still visible. Because they were a nice bright yellow the shinning moonlight was enough that I didn’t even need to shine my flashlight on them most nights.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:57 am

A very large piece of fabric (dare I say sarong?) can also be an attention-attracting mechanism. You could bungee one around a tree at the turnoff from the main path, and then add a couple more leading the way to your tent.

Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:46 pm

Remote control battery operated camp lantern! Get within some certain distance of it, click your remote, and a light goes on at your campsite showing you exactly where you need to go!

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 am

a few years ago, i found a box of rubber duckies on clearance for $1 per duck. i superglued a bunch of them to metal garden stakes, and every year, put one at my turn-off-the-trail point, and the rest in a line to my tent. so long as i remember my flashlight or headlamp, i'm good to go, lol.

i also try to walk back to my tent in the dark at least once, so if i do misplace/forget my light during the week, i have a general idea of what to look for.

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2