Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Tent Thread 

herpergrrl wrote:
Has anyone used a tent cot before? seems too good to be true lol http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/89513/k ... eviews.htm

It is WAY heavier than my tent and yoga mat combination, but I'm used to sleeping on the ground...

I've used one for 2 years at fest and love it. I have the double wide one which weights 36 lbs. I put a memory foam matteress topper in it for comfort. If you get one make sure to get the rain fly. I need to sleep on a cot so this is perfect for me. If sleeping on the ground and getting up isn't a problem for you probably sticking with your current tent and mat would be better since they are harder to move about.

Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:16 pm

This is my tent this year... I needed more space than I got out of the Eureka Tetragon 5....

Found the GoLite Arcadia 3 on clearance...
http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetai ... =371001110

Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:19 pm

that is basically like the rei kingdom, which i have. awesome tent. i love it.

Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 pm

here's what I finally decided on...
http://store.eurekatent.com/sunrise-9-tent

love it!

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 pm

thought i would chime in about my tent experience now that i spent a week in it....

i got a Marmot REI Halo 6-person tent. dubbed "the orange gumdrop".

aluminum poles. full fly. 2 doors (and 2 vestibules).

tent was very easy to pitch. easier with 2 peeps, but totally doable by myself.

totally stood up to the wind and rain. stayed very dry all week.

there WAS one area in the far left corner of the tent where the rain had trickled between the tent floor and the footprint - settling into a bit of a divet in the ground, creating a tiny puddle about the size of a dessert plate. in that one area, that water had started seeping up through the floor, but hadn't progressed farther than the original size of the puddle below. and frankly, i didn't see it until i was tearing down on monday, else i would have done some draining off of the foot print mid-week.

the tent was bright and well ventilated. plenty of room for my cot, my guitar, and my "stuff".

my one complaint (which i have shared with Marmot) is the configuration of the vestibule. having the extra storage was nice. however, the space at the top of the vestibule was so narrow that it wasn't practical. the vestibule zippers went both ways, in a big arc: from top right (as you are in the tent facing out), arcing around to bottom left - but the zipper did not come apart at the bottom. the only way to create the doorway to the vestibule was to zip from bottom left arcing around to top right. being only 5'5", it was not possible to reach the zipper all the way at the bottom left, near where the vestibule gets staked out, while inside the vestibule. all this to say, exiting the gumdrop was an adventure every day....and was impossible to do and stay dry during the rainy days.

i finally worked out a carefully choregraphed (and no doubt, highly entertaining) routine....whereby i would zip from upper right arcing around to lower left, and then hopping out. and then...zipping that back up to full closure.....and unzipping from lower left to upper right to "open" the vestibule door.

for the money....it just seems like it could have been designed a little better.

the other complaint i would have is with the bags that came for storing the tent and accessories. silly design. poor quality. so i'm now in the process of finding suitable (and cost effective) replacements.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Last year, I (and my gf) used a tent that we borrowed from my Dad. It did the job, but not particularly well - leaked like a sieve in the storm, not particularly well ventilated. This year, I am going to purchase a new tent. Perhaps you all have input on my considerations?

What I'd like:
- Plenty of room to stand up all around
- Room for a queen sized air mattress (so I'm thinking minimum 4 person tent)
- Preferably a full-sized door that you don't have to stoop over to get into
- Good waterproofing - whether that's an awesome rain fly or just a well-made tent that only requires a little seam sealing. Or, alternatively, good directions from expert campers about how to tarp!
- I thought having a screen room/sitting room part of the tent would be great. I found that last year sometimes I wanted to hang out at my campsite for a minute before crawling into bed, but the bugs got to me.

And the major caveat: This year I will be going for the whole week but the g/f will be coming later - Thur or even Fri. That means I have to load in and set up by myself. I'm fine with it being potentially chilly for sleeping because of the extra space.

The contenders:
- The Columbia Cougar Flats II Family Cabin Dome Tent (Old model, but a few are still for sale out there): Awesome looking and practically perfect, but HUGE and HEAVY. (But it does come with a duffel on wheels! and a worker said she set it up in about an hour by herself. But huge and heavy!!!)
- Eureka! Copper Canyon cabin style tent (6 or above)
- Coleman Weathermaster Elite (but lots of people complained about it being somewhat of a misnomer...lots of leaking issues, etc. Plus the screen room doesn't have a floor, which seems silly)
- Eureka Tetragon 1610 3 Room 9 Person Tent
- The Hobitat WAS on my list, but people seem to really, really hate the new model.

Thoughts? Do you have any of these? Any other recommendations?

Thu May 03, 2012 11:18 am

I have a Eureka Sunrise 11. It IS heavy, but it's worth it. Plenty of room to walk around, screens on all 4 sides to let in maximum breezage in hot weather. I left the space near the door clear, and sat there in my beach chair to read and watch the world go by. I only bring it if I have a girlfriend with me, which is not that often, so I mostly use my smaller dome tent. But I love my Eureka Sunrise!

http://store.eurekatent.com/sunrise-11-tent

Thu May 03, 2012 3:16 pm

No matter what kind of tent you choose, the two most important things to keep you dry inside are a tarp or ground cloth underneath the tent (preferably slightly smaller than your tent's "footprint"), and a rainfly that sweeps down to the ground (which protects against wind-blown rain coming in horizontally).

Thu May 03, 2012 6:55 pm

We have the Eureka Tetragon 1610 3 Room 9 Person Tent, and we ADORE her.
She's probably the best tent we've had. Prior to this, we had the Sunrise 11, which was a perfectly lovely tent, but...

We got a great deal on the Tetragon a few years back, so we picked it up and haven't looked back. We particularly enjoy the little side rooms, as they allow us to put the queen airmattress in the center, and it affords us each a "dressing room" of ample size. When we return from the shower (a together experience), we can both towel off and get dressed and just move about without feeling like we're climbing all over each other. We enjoy doing that at Fest, mind you, but not when we're trying to quickly assemble ourselves for night stage!

We were a little anxious about taking on water through the side windows, as we were used to a rainfly that came down much further than this one does, but in a few years of Fest camping and some side trips as well, we've been in heavy (HEAVY) rain more than once, and we've only ever taken on minimal amounts of water in the lower corners. I'm talking about pools no greater than 3 inches in diameter.

We seam seal it every other year, and we know to keep clothes etc tucked in away from those corners.

Again, the space is wonderful. It feels so roomy and airy and lovely.

And she's such a pretty green. :-)

Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 pm

femmiemouse - It's hard to tell from the photos and videos online. Can you fully stand up in the two "side rooms"? Or only towards the middle?

Still haven't decided!

Mon May 07, 2012 10:21 am

You cannot fully stand up in the side rooms -- well, I can't anyway. I'm 5'8" and have to duck my head just slightly even at the bedside (queen bed). My partner is 5'4", and she's fine standing there. If I'm in the "side room", I am generally kneeling, or sitting (we bring little rugs into the tent and place them bed-side).

Mon May 07, 2012 3:33 pm

I have the columbia cougar flats ii - it's the best thing in the world. I love it. I'm a worker, so I'm on the land for a month, and it is absolutely perfect. It has vertical sides for maximum room, it has 2 rooms - I think it's approximately 10 x 15 - lots of great features and it held up very well in the big storms we got last year. Highly highly recommend. It's a heavy one - 49 lbs - and comes in a rolling duffel.

Oh- and it's 7 feet tall :)

I put it together myself in about an hour (and I'm 5 feet tall).

Mon May 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Aldi's has a 9'X7' dome tent for sale for $25!! Can't beat that price, and Aldi's has good products.

Mon May 07, 2012 5:17 pm

i have three tents. one for road trips, a smaller one for camping trips only lasting a few days, and a tent for camping that lasts a week.

road trip tent- sets up in less then 5 minutes, has a vestibule, bomb proof fly, and foot print.
http://www.kelty.com/p-352-gunnison-21. ... s-shelters

small tent- you can find it when you are drunk, all mesh, 2 vestibules, bomb proof fly and foot print
http://marmot.com/products/limelight_3p?p=118

large tent- mostly mesh, bomb proof fly and foot print, optional gear garage, 2 vestibules, and the fly rolls up on the side about halfway for those warm nights
http://www.rei.com/product/827807/rei-k ... -tent-2012

important tent tips:
fiberglass poles snap really easily. aluminum (or any other material) is the way to go. if you get a tent with fiberglass poles, get a tent repair kit (it has stuff to fix poles) in case they snap.
bathtub bottom. the bottom seam is 6 inches off the ground and up the side. it just is a better design if it rains.
mesh. more mesh in the body of the tent is better. tents like to breathe.
fly and footprint. footprint goes under the tent. i use a footprint and a tarp for extra protection. the fly needs to reach all the way to the ground or you will get wet.
price. cheap tents are great, but if you invest some money in a tent it will last you longer, it will be better made, and its usually backed up by the company. i've sent a fly that was leaking to north face 5 years after i bought the tent and they sent me a new fly, no questions asked. if you do buy a cheaper tent, water proof and seam seal it and bring an extra tarp.

care and feeding tips:
take your tent out before the festival and set it up. even if you're not seam sealing it, its best to check it out before you go.
dry your tent the best you can after the tent and put it up when you get home and give it a quick bath (warm water and bronners on a rag and then just warm water). your tent will last longer and it won't mold/rot.
waterproofing is important, but make sure you seam seal your tent and fly.
bring a gear repair kit when you camp. http://www.rei.com/product/684939/coghl ... repair-kit or http://www.rei.com/product/831060/gear- ... repair-kit if something happens, you can repair it.

Tue May 15, 2012 9:59 pm

I love my tent too. It's huge and it takes 10 minutes to set up solo.

http://www.colemancanada.ca/Catalog/TEN ... n.products

Tue May 22, 2012 10:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2