View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
RV Thread: what to bring 

This is our first time at Michfest. We are renting a pop-up trailer and would like to know what things we should remember to bring. Can we bring a small grill to use outside our trailer? Thanks. Carnie

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Hey Carnie, yes you can bring a grill. I would suggest you go over to the "Lists" thread in the Are You Ready forum. Take a look at Tori's list, she is the Pop Up Camper Expert.

Welcome aboard.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:31 am

Red, thank you but don't be modest..... you manage to bring tons of stuff as well. I love having a small grill for meals. It can be inconvenient to get to the kitchen for all meals.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Bumping this thread to the top now that we've got one year of pop-up camper RV'ing under our belts. Last year was AMAZING, and I was so grateful to have the camper. I can't wait for it to be nice enough to take it out again! :)

One thing we will do differently this year is try and organize more (I know, I know--it's a sickness), taking advantage of vertical space as well. I found these which are AWESOME--check it out. They are huge shelves, and I bought two of them. I think they will go outside the pop-up camper in the porch so we can keep things off the floor, and yet accessible. One will for sure hold coffee supplies (in lock and locks) so it will be right near the outdoor stove.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-816A102T- ... =8-1-fkmr0

What are YOU doing differently this year???

Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:32 pm

We had a heck of a time getting the pop-up off the hitch due to the slope, so will bring a tall block of wood or concrete. Not like the campgrounds we had been staying (all nice and level). Boards to level the rest of the pop-up we did have. Also, something larger to tote water. We had water bottles, but needed water for coffee/tea making, brushing teeth, drinking at the campsite. Got to be a chore to go back and forth to the spigot. And something ant proof for trash - the pop-up turned into a giant ant trap which we also had not experienced before, even with daily trash removal. Anyone else have this, or did we actually camp on an ant hill do you think :) ? Finally, some kind of flag or sign to identify ourselves. We kept telling people the pop-up had Maine plates, but the plates were firmly backed up into the trees!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Hmmm. We didn't have any ant problems... I'm glad!!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:25 pm

We had ants but we used (what I am sure is organic) Raid and they disappeared.

HF check out Cabela's Deluxe camp organizer. It can hold a grill and it has spots to store food and a sink if you choose to use one. It set up nicely in the screen area of our pop up.

HF are you camping in the same area again? Not sure what we are going to do.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Looking forward to meeting up and camping on Debauchery Lane. I've been going over several camping checklists, for the various places I'll be visiting this year.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Thunder: We just ordered one at half off! Check out the Cabela's website.. For less than $50 we just got a sweet kitchen set up. Thank you!

We will be a few aisles closer to treeline this year, on or near debauchery lane. :)

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Can someone please email me where exactly Debauchery Lane is, so I can find it on my map from last year?

Thanks!

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello All!

So K and I are planning on renting a camper....class c. I would love to hear people's experience renting. I'm checking out the ones listed here. We were looking local but between the mileage charges and gas it's too expensive so we are going to drive and pick up as close to fest as we can....which doesn't seem to be very close!

I've NEVER camped in an RV....always been a staunch tent camper. Still have thoughts of just camping in the zone but don't want to deal with a battery. Would rather do DART RV and have electricity for our CPAPs.

Wait, would we be able to use the electricity in the camper? How does that work? do they have generators? See, I'm clueless!!!!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 am

Amber, class C campers have generators and I believe there are posted hours for when they can run (annoying for neighbors to hear the sound all night). Other than that you are on battery, and things that need AC current do not run on the battery. The battery will operate your lights, toilet, and furnace generally. We used a battery and small solar panel to run our lights and toilet last year. Our fridge operates with gas. We were fine all week but did not need to plug anything in either. (you need electric to flush the toilet because water comes from a pump, not city water pressure).

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:00 pm

For those of you renting, borrowing or buying new..... please take notes when you go to pick it up. They will give you set up/tear down run thru. It takes at least an hour to run thru the set up, make sure you have pen and paper and no children. If you have an emergency or forget something those wonderful RV workers or shifters are available to help but could be busy at the time. You may have to wait for help and that could mean missing ____ (dinner, drinks with friends, shower) fill in the blank.....

Amber, sign up for DART RV. Your c-pap will need direct electric access, you can plug in the camper. Just make sure you use the electric only for medical reasons. You will end up near/on the path to the Zone and showers, and across the Lane from us! Not a bad place! First time in RV, my advice is bring extra food. I have never been able to make it for 3 meals in the kitchen.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:37 pm

And.... because I noticed this question elsewhere. Yes, bring a grass mat/outdoor rug for under your awning! It keeps the dust/sand out and let's you step outside barefoot. We actually bring 2, one under the mat and one a bit further out under the party tent/dinning fly thing. When you set it down I use it to "sweep" the ferns to one side, then they just lay flat for fest and hopefully return once we are gone. :) I love talking about RV Land....

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Amberlight, etc.

The hours for running the generators are in the daytime. (as I recall) So if you don't stay where there is electricity (DART or DART RV) you need to use an inverter to use your battery and I don't know how long a battery will support your device.

You can plug the inverter into the 12v system in your RV (make sure it is independent of the battery that starts the engine..which it
"should" be but ask anyway. ) Some larger vehicles have more than one battery for the living area, which would be a good thing.

I would still carry something like a jump pack that you use for jump starting your vehicle, (fully charged and then charge it when you run the generator to charge the living area batteries during the day) for extra juice.

Inverters come in different voltages etc. You need to know what the appliances you will be using on it are rated as far as power needs before you buy an inverter. Some can charge your cell phones and laptops, some can do power tools..but you need the right one.
http://www.google.com/search?q=inverter ... =firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?q=jump+sta ... =firefox-a

Inverters are handy items to have with you in your car, so it is something that is a handy thing to have around as you can
plug in with a regular household plug.

If you choose to do things this way, you might try testing it at home with the jump pack or a 12 volt (car battery) and an inverter just
to see how long it runs your machine that way.

When traveling I have used the inverter with the jump pack to run my laptop at the picnic table....It is quite handy. Good for charging cell phones and such as well.

Note, Roof Air conditioning on an RV requires either electricity or a generator. If I recall correctly, the generators are not allowed to run at night. Michigan can be very muggy and hot....and RVs are hotter than a tent when left to their own. (no Air) I use battery operated fans even in my tent. If you buy those, make sure the blades are fat, they move the most air and you can get a number of nights out of 4 C or D cell batteries. (4-5" fan)

Thank you for the answer about the grass mat Tori.. I did start another RV thread for questions that were not about
"What to bring" for RVs but more about rules and what to do, what works best for you, etc.

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next