View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
New to insulin. 

I've been a type 2 diabetic for several years but now am insulin(2 types) dependent. It's still not under control but getting better. I already have to bring 95% of my food to fest due to allergies but am wondering how other womyn handle diabetic stuff at fest. Should I keep the insulin pens in a cooler? Should I try for several small meals daily or what. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Dova you got mail.

suji

Last edited by suji on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 pm

My mom is a type 2 diabetic and she brought these cold pouches for her insulin. They were made for storing it, I think, and she just had to get it wet and they would stay cold for a few days. If you are interested, I can ask her more about them.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:02 am

hw got it covered.

suji

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:07 am

hmm

Last edited by shortsweetnbutch on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Dova, we camp in RV and have a fridge that runs on gas if you need it. I think most people do better with more frequent smaller meals, but I would say stay with what works for you at home - changing routines while away from home can be dicey. Glad you have a few months to get the hang of it.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks for the answers. I've been frustrated that I still haven't had "normal" blood sugar yet (all over 180 up to 300) but it is better than before I started the insulin (365 - 465). I've lost 24 pounds by eating better and need to lose alot more.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:13 pm

When I would go to the Festival I would take a cooler with ice and I used the bottles of Lantus and Humalog. I put them in a small plastic box or you can use a sealed container like tupperware and put them in the cooler. Also be careful with your Chemstrips as the heat will distort your readings on your meter. When I went the heat also affected my blood sugars by making them higher than normal. Stick to the same routine and time you eat as much as possible but still enjoy the wonderful yummy Vegetarian meals that they serve. I use the DART Kitchen for all my meals because you are able to eat right away. Also when you get there check in with the Womb just to let them know you are Diabetic just in case you go into an Insulin Reaction. Take some Orange Juice or candy,glucose tablets, or any thing that will work to get your blood sugars back up. Also drink a lot of water. From one Diabetic to another I know how you feel and it is scary, but there are womyn all around you that will help you when you need it. Take care.

Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 pm

This year will be my nine year old's first time to Fest since being diagnosed with T1 diabetes. She currently uses an insulin pump. Does anyone have experience and/or advice using a pump at Fest? I have many concerns about keeping her insulin and supplies at the correct temperature, keeping her infusion site clean, etc. as well as how to count the carbs of the prepared food. We do have an insulin pen but I would much prefer the more accurate dosing abilities of the pump. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions you all may have. Thanks!

Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 am

Dova..... I've been on insulin at last two fests and can give you some pointers when we chat.

It's a difficult balance between what we eat, our activity levels, our own personal insulin resistance and staying on top of it all with our personal testing. I need both short acting and long acting insulin and take multiple shots each day to keep me at an even keel!

Hang in there....glad you are doing better but hoping we get you down to normal ranges soon

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]