View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
How to keep cool/warm in and out of tent? 

My friend Jess has expressed to me her concerns for Hot, and I am also concerned about Cold?

How do you keep the tent nice and cool during hot nights?

How do you keep yourself cool outside the tent during hot days?

How do you keep the tent nice and warm during cold nights?

How do you keep yourself nice and warm outside the tent during cold Days?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:59 pm
Profile YIM

Hello Krych! Am i correct in guessing that this is your first fest? Possibly first time camping?

My tips:

To cool off at night, you could always open a door or window flap on your tent. Although I doubt you will have that problem. Most likely you will be cold at night. In which case, there are many options for staying warm. Blankets, pj's, good sleeping bags, a knit cap, or....my personal favorite.... A nice warm body to snuggle up to.

Now, for the days, if cold,add clothes. If warm, take off clothes. Very simple.

Welcome to fest!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm
Profile WWW

Don''t forget some sort of raingear.

suji

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:16 pm

cooling: these are nice. Put in fridge (or at fest, the cooler so buy two, one to wear and one to chill)

http://www.healthandbodystore.com/neck- ... QAodoiZ4jw

Hats with brims help with portable shade (and you can soak the hat in cold water)

and http://www.meritline.com/portable-water ... rce=fghdac
great for hot flashes too I hear.

cold. wool socks and hat you can sleep in are helpful esp if you have a tent with vents you can't close.

thin fuzzy (fleecey) blanket to put inside your sleeping bag.

You can always put your rain poncho on, over a coat or use it over your sleeping bags. It is a really handy
multipurpose tool. The ones they carry in the army surplus stores these days are pretty lightweight but strong and
have snaps and grommets on them so can be used many ways.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 am

The key to keeping warm at night (imho) is keeping the damp out.

At home I love cotton, but when camping cotton tends to soak up any humidity, so I go with fleece and synthetic blends for bedding, pj's etc. You may think this is a small thing, but it makes a big difference to keeping comfortable at night.

Keep the tent as dry as possible. Assuming you tarp etc correctly to keep the rain out, you also want to keep the dew out.
1) When you leave your tent in the a.m. open it to the air as much as possible, keeping screens in place, of course, but drop any other window/door coverings. Open up your bedding to the air.
2) Then come back to your tent mid-afternoon, in the hottest part of the day to close it all up again. Fold your bedding closed, ("make" your bed or zip your bag shut) and cover with a lightweight piece of plastic (I use a piece of 1/2 millimeter drop cloth plastic--feather light, and it does the job), zip closed your doors and windows.
3) I try to make sure I only open my sleeping tent once, to go in, in the evening, and use my in tent potty during the night, so I don't open it up to the damp night air.

--Don't sleep in the clothes you wore that day. (store laundry outside of sleep tent or in plastic bag)
--If you shower in the evening, leave plenty of time for your hair to dry completely before bedtime.

Layers. Can't say enough about layers. During the heat of the day, I go with as little clothing as possible. (don't leave home without plenty of sun screen) By the time I turn in in the evening, I have usually donned, one by one:
1) a sleeveless undie shirt.
2) a T shirt of some kind
3) a light weight sweater or long john shirt
4) a button down something--workshirt or very lightweight jacket
5) a fleece jacket, with hoodie
6) sometimes a rain poncho

Layers for the bed, too--sheet, fleece bag, regular sleeping bag.

And bed clothes--I can sleep in my BD suit, or add sweat pants, under shirt, turtleneck, fleece sleep socks, watchman's cap, fleece balaclava.

And don't forget to have something insulating between you and the ground. I use closed foam pad. (even under an air bed)

A cup of hot tea before bedtime is a good way to warm your insides if you're already feeling chilled--very inexpensive at the Community Center.

Fest used to take place a bit later in the month, and the globe has warmed some this decade, so "cold at night" hasn't been as big an issue as it used to be, but you should be prepared for any and all kinds of weather. Leave some stuff in the car, if you're pretty sure you won't need it, but want it just in case.

Some good "keep cool" suggestions above. A sun-shade umbrella helps, too.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I saw these once and they made me smile. Might help with cooling, and certainly a conversation starter at fest, no? :)

http://polarbreezebandanas.com/store/in ... x&cPath=33

Still not entirely sure why someone might want what I imagine to be wet semi-circles under their breasts, though I may be wrong on that?

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:27 am

HF, haha! My first thought was "Still not entirely sure why someone might want **cheeseballs** under their breasts. though I may be wrong on that?" Ahh... Diversity.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:22 pm

They make those for your neck too, they help.

There's a cooling towel made by Frogg Toggs that works really well. It's kind of a foamy material. Works better than the neckbands.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:51 pm

The best way I've found to stay warm is cuddling. It also makes me feel pretty dang cool.

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 pm

Everything EL said.
And WOOL.
First -- dealing with hot is fairly easy. Less on. Duck your head/hat under faucet. Drink lots of water. Tiny battery fan can help mid day. Umbrella for shade. Sun visor or sunhat.
But cold is important. Since 1992, I've almost never been hot at night. Evening concerts can be chilly, sitting still. Early mornings, late nights, overnight security shifts, and just regular sleeping, you need warmth. Not cotton, fleece is good. But wool is the gold standard. I always get good use out of my SmartWool gear: merino long johns, longsleeve shirt, beanie hat, socks. If you can't afford the SmartWool, at least bring a wool shirt or thrift shop wool sweater and cap. (read the label for real wool, merino, cashmere, etc.) And gloves for night stage if it's chilly.
A skinny wool layer for your bed is useful too -- airplane blanket, wool shawl, A hat in bed helps too.

And again, so much right-on advice from EL.

Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Right on, Colleen! I bring a wool sweater for evenings, and everything you said. Wool is the way to go.

Sun May 13, 2012 4:36 pm

layers. layers are the best for cold. i bring double layer thermals, a sweatshirt (or fleece), and a jacket (which is also my rain jacket). plus blankets for cold nights (i use the blankets as a pillow and if it gets cold i put them over my sleeping bag).

it is best to get a tent that is completely mesh and a bomb proof fly. it breathes at night and during the day. it doesn't make it any colder and it helps at night. if its warm, i leave the front and rear vestibule open at night. the tent i am bringing this year is completely mesh and the fly rolls halfway up the sides so if its warm i still have coverage but i got a breeze.

don't leave your tent door open during the day or night. you may get mosquitos or other annoying flying things in your tent. you don't want to share a tent with mosquitos.

and if its hot during the day, just take off your clothes and remember to wear sun screen. (ever had your nipples sunburned? you don't want to experience that.)

if you want a nap on a hot day, grab a blanket and find some shade. it will be a lot cooler then your tent.

lastly, sleeping bags. i know its nice to have a sleeping bag that is fleece or cotton lined because its soft, but if it gets wet/damp its going to be hot/uncomfortable. just get an unlined sleeping bag and go with a sleeping bag liner. you can make one by sewing a sheet in half. it will dry easier during the day and wick off moisture at night. when i wake up in the morning i take the liner out and set it on my sleeping bag to air out and before night stage i wad it up and stick it in my sleeping bag. plus, if you have a more expensive sleeping bag (or like to run around barefoot) it will extend the life of the bag.)

Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 pm

There are evenings when it's muggy and very warm going to bed. Then there are other times when it's really chilly!

I bring a Thermarest Dreamtime pad (doesn't get cold under me!), cotton/poly lined sleeping bag (feels like slipping between real sheets), cotton/poly blend flat sheet, and a lightweight fleece blanket/throw. With these in various combinations, I can sleep like a baby in any weather fest has been able to throw at me.

Even when it's been really hot and muggy, the temps can drop a LOT during the night! I might start out naked on top of my opened sleeping bag with just the flat sheet over me and the fleece next to me. As the temps drop, I wrap the fleece around me. Eventually, I will probably ditch the sheet and pull the sleeping bag top over fleece-wrapped me. If it's really cold, I'll toss the sheet over top. I love the feel of being wrapped IN fleece. It's cuddly and snuggly and just feel heavenly!

My pillows are 2 very squooshy square toss pillows from my sofa here at home and I bring 2 soft older pillow cases. Changing out pillowcases half way through the week is delightful!

I also bring along a little wool blend cap through hardly ever have used it.

Those middle of the night nature calls can be a challenge and I don't feel like making that trip in the altogether! I make sure to have my flashlight and something easy to toss around me right next to the door. ;)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Thu May 17, 2012 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]