View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
solving the spork problem 

I found http://www.theforkchopstore.com/forkchops.htm

It's chop sticks

it's a fork and knife

seems better than a spork to me...

what do you think?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:19 pm

The design is cool, but what are they made of? Is it plastic?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:05 pm
Profile WWW

looks like plastic to me. . .which is a bummer. . .
perhaps we need to have a workshop on carving one's own forkchops at the beginning of fest. . .anyone good at teaching woodcarving? or, a project we can do at home before then. . .??

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:03 pm

That would be a great workshop!

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking this but... what's wrong with plastic?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:11 pm

chuckling. . .yep, herpergrrl, that's a loaded question. I had a downstairs neighbor for a year who was studying the hormonal effects of plastics. . .five minutes talking with her about plastics made me realllllly aware of issues with plastics.
Plastic is lousy on many different levels, partly that it is a petroleum product, therefore non-renewable. And, it never, ever goes away, it just breaks down into littler pieces. So, when they test ocean fish who have been swallowing little bits of things floating along in the water, they find that the fish have a high percentage of plastic in them.
AND, plastics have "estrogenic" effects, mess up hormone levels in people. . .hence, earlier menstruation in girls (like 7-8 year old girls), etc.
so. . . plastic is very hard to avoid altogether these days (imagine trying to not do anything with plastic/have any contact with plastic for a week . .. as best I can tell, you'd need to be camping in the woods, not around any buildings/manufactured stuff.
And, many folks try to avoid buying/getting plastic as much as they can, especially avoiding using "disposable" stuff that is plastic. . .

so. . .I like the looks of the forkchops, but wouldn't buy them because they are plastic.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I would like to suggest this set of utensils. I have used these for years, in my lunches, camping, airplanes... And it has a pair of chopsticks!

http://www.to-goware.com/store/cart.php ... etail&p=39

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

looks good, tft. . .I use a regular metal fork, spoon, knife that I got at a thrift shop and keep in my day pack in a little stuff sack, along with a cloth bandana for a napkin. Bamboo is probably lighter, but I don't do much in the way of backpacking these days, so the metal kind work fine.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:43 pm

Avoiding plastics sounds like it fits in really well with some intentions I have been setting for myself these days...

Wow, plastics mess with our hormones. Thank you for sharing... I'll say it again, wow. :)

No more reheating food in plastic containers, even if they say microwave safe! lol. Glass is prettier any way.

Well, I work at a hard ware store... I may be able to figure out a way to make forkchops out of wood or metal.

In the mean time, I'll stick with my thrift store metal fork and spoon.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:47 am

Hi carry small metal fork and spoon in my purse and lunchbag I had a little knife too but it was confiscated. I dislike the plastic spoons and forks ttooo weak not sturdy for soups. I sometimes use a plastic knife to cut up fruit although a metal fork or spoon usually works. At fest it seemss normal to have my own fork and spoon .

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:03 pm

It is not only normal to have your own fork and spoon, but it is necessary. Eating utensils are not provided. Neither are plates. So bring your own, in whatever style suits you.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 pm
Profile WWW

TfT, I like the look of the bamboo utensils you posted. Is the knife sharp enough that you could use it for cutting foods, or is it more like a "butter" knife?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:38 am

It's like a butter knife. I also bring along my Swiss army knife.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:34 am
Profile WWW

I <3 swiss army knives

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:47 am

For those who don't like to use plastic utensils, there are biodegradable kinds that are made from corn. I've used them and they hold up quite well. You can even wash them a couple of times and get multiple use. I bought some at Whole Foods, also biodegradable plates/bowls too.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next