View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
RV Thread: what to bring 

Hello Ladies! I hope everyone is busy planning their campsite for Aug! I know we will be excited to be back in "our spot" if it's open when we arrive. I do always have a fear someone else will realize how awesome it is and take it first.....lol.

One_BEin, Aug can be hot and muggy but it get's chilly at night. We run our heat at night, no need for AC especially at night. It can be hot during the day but we are close to the lake and in the woods, it cools quickly in the evening.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks Tori,

I look forward to it being cool at night, but pack for the heat as well...fans help a lot.

Heat in the RV ...I think the thing I would most like about heat is its ability to dry things out.

Is nice to wake up too also. Thanks for that news-I have yet to use it but plan to play
with it before I come.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:00 am

Howdy RVers,
Last year we filled our water tanks the night we stopped on the way from Maine, then dragged that considerable weight the nextn10 hours. As I recall Fest spigots have a "screw on" fitting we could fill up with. Is this discouraged? We camp behind Brother Sun and would not be blocking anyone for the few minutes it takes to fill our 15 gallon tank. If not, what is your favorite fill (and afterwards) dump stations? Would like to avoid going very far off the main drag. Thanks!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Fest specifically asks womyn not to fill their tanks on the land. Some ignore the request, but that does not make it right. I have filled my tank at John Guerney Park in Hart. Because I stay there the night before they have never charged me and in fact have let me come back after fest to use the dump station. I understand from others that they have used JG for the same even when not staying there, but a small fee was involved.

JG is home to several festies starting the Friday before Fest. It is an easy shot from JG to the front gate.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Well all right then, cleared me right up on that one! Has anyone used Muskegan state park? Do you know how far off the highway it is?

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Hello RV Galz! How is everyone? Any new RV toys yet for Fest?

Belzmom, sorry but I haven't bee to the Muskegan State park, we usually stop by Ace's cousin and fill up at her place. John Gurney is super supportive of Festie's though and right in Hart.

Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 am

Hey Tori!

I am going to be further towards Brother Sun, helping with the Grands whilst their Mother works at Saints. I am setting the BAC up over in Bro Sun for similar reasons.

Really trying to pare down this year.

Got the new kitchen, made by Kelty and a couple of those pop up containers. One is mesh for dirty clothes & the other is to line with a bag for trash.

Last fall I added another awning to the pop up and have yet to try it out. Both awnings are home made from tarps. Last year the one over the door worked well. The other is going to be the kitchen area.

Taking the RV out for a run over Memorial weekend, and excited about replacing the toilet seat this weekend, LOL. The RV is staying home this Fest.

So, what new toys have you gotten lately?

Sat May 12, 2012 1:36 pm

I just ordered my red tarp to make a canopy over my doorway of the Aliner. Yay! I'll have a space about 11' X 11' under cover. The other project I'm thinking of is to find some no see um fabric to sew to the tarp to make it a screen room. That depends upon the cost of the fabric and how much I'll need. So my tarp will be A-frame as I have found a way to attach the tarp to the camper. Very excited about this!

Update: I found some bulk no see um fabric and they have a tip about sealing the seams with duct tape. I can even duct tape the fabric to my tarp and won't have to sew it, leaving holes to seal. Very happy and I'll have a great screen room that I can use whenever I camp!

Tue May 15, 2012 9:10 am

Hi fellow RV ladies. Last year was my first year at Fest, my partner used to be on crew in the early 90s, but her first time in RV. We met a few people but werent nearly as social as we should have been. Cant wait to meet and hang out with even more folks. (Red- we were close to you guys). Getting excited for Fest this year- seems far away, but as we are almost in June already, I know August will be here before we know it. We have a Rockwood Pop Up (Freedom)- come say hi to us, join us for a beer or dinner- our goal for this fest is to make lots of new friends!!

Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Red, Excited to hear about 4 McKinney's working but further away from us??? We will just have to make it a point to hike back there and see you. Looks like the camping weekend is going awesome!

abcmindy, It does help if a new RV'er is outgoing. I know a lot of womyn enjoy their privacy at fest so I try not to be intrusive. We are across the street from the path to the zone if you want to stop by? We normally end up have a small party.

Willdwomyn, We had one of those screen walls for our old camper. Not once did we take to fest because it was so heavy, have you used one before? Just curious if it's worth it.

Mon May 28, 2012 10:18 am

Hi tori!

I just received the tarp the other day and haven't yet altered it for the Aliner. I have a 12 foot pole I can use as a peak support and need to figure out how to attach to the Aliner or at least make it possible to attach the one end of it. The other end will be support by an extension pole. I got about 6 extension poles and this long pole from a CL buy last year, so I can also support along the sides. I'll be raising the tarp along with one of the "A" when I set up the camper. I'll probably just store the tarp/screen part right in the camper or in a pinch in my SUV. I got one of the red tarps 16 X 12 and it doesn't seem too heavy. I have to wait to get the no see um fabric. I think I'll be okay, and I'd like to have a screen room.

My daughter and son-in-law will be moving to house sometime this summer, and I'll be able to park my camper in their yard and I'd like to have the screen room for there, and also in my yard. I have the camper parked back there and will plug in so I can run the refridgerator and keep cold drinks out back.

Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 am

Hi RV'ing Womyn, my partner and I are full timers. We have been to fest many times but not yet in our class A. Very nervous about parking on a slope (we have jacks but they are iffy about coming down) also, parking in 100% sun for a whole week. Can you all give me the run down of coming in through the gate? Is it different for rv'ers in any way? You all seem to be already in and set up by the time I pass through on a shuttle and wonder...do you pull to the side...go through orientation/ sign up for work shifts then come back to your rig and then drive on to a spot? Just like tent campers? Do you get to look around a bit and find which part of the RV area you want or do you basically fill the next slot so to speak? I really just want to find a place in the shade...how possible is this?
Thanks much.
Looking forward to August.
Anyone out there able to eyeball our hydraulic kick down jacks and offer up if it would be an expensive fix? Or if we could do something easy to make them more reliable on the take down?
Thanks much.
Geo

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Geo,
We drive to our spot (we get to choose) then walk back up to sign up for work shifts etc. There are some shadier spots, but not all are high enough for a class A to fit under. We used blocks under the pop-up to get basic leveling, not sure how it would work with a big rig. The lovely Nefarious asked us what we were looking for (in our case, quiet) and directed us well. She or one of her colleagues will be there when you drive in to help. We do wait in line like everyone else, it is just we can drive directly to our spots that makes us look like we have been there longer (of course some get in line in the middle of the night, again, with a big rig you may want to be sure you can be safely off to the side of the road if you choose to do so).

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 am

Got some disappointing news yesterday, my Festie Virgin won't be coming this year, she's got a new GF and and new house, so they can't make it so soon after moving etc. The good news is that they will take care of Dancer for me while I go to Fest. The new GF is Dancer's groomer, so it all works out great. I'm sad that they won't be coming this year, but there's always next year!

For Geo: As I recall, after entering the gate, I was directed to pull to the side, do orientation and shift sign up, then was directed to the RV access road (or whatever it's called) as it loops around the main road and there is a crossing guard to then get us to RV so we don't run over anyone. There are some flatter spaces for a Class A, there was one parked near me and I was around aisle F I think, off to the left. There are also ground blackberry vines, so watch out for those. Once I had my mat down, they weren't so bad. As far as parking in the sun, you can run your generator but only for certain hours, check the RV section of the Fest site.

Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:56 am

To Wildwomyn: Do you have an ETA on getting in line at the gate? My GF and I are planning on staying at the KOA south of the Land the night before. My goal is to be in line by 8:00am on Monday. Maybe we can camp our Aliners next to each other! We have a blue EZ-Up with the side panels for setting up on the side of our camper--that will be our shady spot for the week.

I thinking we're going to bring a small grill and some chicken and fish for grilling. GF is a little nervous about the food, even though I've explained that there's lots of fruits, granola, yogurt, and other familiar foods for her to enjoy. 'Course, if I'm grillin', I gotta have some adult beverages close by. ;-)

Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next