View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Looking for campsite suggestions. (Festie virgin/worker) 

I am a festie virgin and need your help. I am also working this years fest. I have already decided that I will not be camping in Workerville. I have a couple groups of friends coming and will feel more comfortable having the option of them dropping by my tent. My question is, is where do you think I should set up camp? I want something in the middle, as far as location to downtown and also as far as noise level. I also want enough space that my friends can camp near me if they choose. Also, if there is something that is somewhat close to Workerville then I can have the best of both worlds...

Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:14 am
Profile YIM WWW

Quite a few workers camp up the path just behind Oasis. It is a nice spot, busy but not loud and close to Workerville and downtown. What crew are you on?

Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Nice! I will have to check it out. I think I'll just have to take a couple hours to explore the land and talk to people when I get there. This is just to give me some ideas and places to start. I'm hoping to prepare as much as I can now, so I'm not to overwhelmed when I get there. I am in the transportation short crew.

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 pm
Profile YIM WWW

100 views and only 1 response?! Come on ya'll I know you got some feedback on this! lol

Tue May 01, 2012 9:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm personally familiar with 4 camping areas.

Twilight Zone where I camped my first few years with my now ex. Closest showers are the Zone/RV showers. Anyone can come visit any time. It's a LONG way from workerville and no shuttles after a certain time at night.

Over50's in the area immediately behind DART camping. Closest showers are a ways away, across Lois Lane, and up the hill between WOC tent and Gaia. Super convenient to any place downtown and workerville. Quite crowded and not very much privacy. This will only work if you are over 50 and have no children camping with you as this is the only camping area to specifically not allow children.

Bread & Roses is clean & sober camping adjacent to Triangle. You and your guests would not be able to bring in ANY substances or even visit under the influence. Loads of room to spread out and plenty of privacy. Very convenient to showers. Very convenient to the shuttles downtown though the shuttles do not run late nights and very early mornings. Not a bad walk to downtown.

Jupiter Jumpoff is also very convenient to Triangle and shuttles. Not far from showers. Very close to One World and workshop areas. Easy walk downtown.

fyi... Triangle is a transportation and communication hub. There's a big community fire pit and very often drummers late into the night.

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time."

Tue May 01, 2012 11:34 pm

I always camp in solanas ferns, but in the farthest section from tree line- closest to acoustic stage and main kitchen.
it's about a 7-10 minute walk to workerville, but I love it because there is plenty of room, and it's not terribly noisey-

Wed May 02, 2012 2:47 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I see your point, lots of views, little response.

I hesitated to respond because I've never been a worker.

Nefarious mentioned "behind Oasis". Not sure, but maybe she's referring to a roped off camping area, that I have seen workers camp in, near Over 50's, up the hill from Oasis's Sober Support Tent. I can't say for sure, but I think it is reserved for folks like you, workers who don't want to camp in Workerville, but need to be close to the action.

Rabbit and I have frequently camped in the same Over 50's neighborhood, so... what she said.

(but she's usually a little farther down the road from me, so maybe she doesn't have the noises I mention below. And I just realized my spot is just past the Over 50's border, so I'm in General Camping, not sure of the name of the area)

Anyway. The area I mean (that maybe Nefarious means, too?) is on the East side of Easy Street, just across from where I camp. It is on the right, as you go up the Womb Way hill past Oasis, just past the corner where Womb Way joins Easy Street. It's a quiet neighborhood, meaning few loud and rowdy campers, but you can hear the reefer trucks (reefer = refridgerated) by the kitchen--which can seem like distant white noise; and also the Porta-Potty suckers--which is a horrible sound, but only twice a day-early and late; and also the sound checks from Night Stage (simply lovely!)--which happen for a few hours mid-day.

And, as you can see from the above posts, telling someone where to camp, (or even explaining where YOU are camped, even when you're face to face, and both already on the Land!) is not such and easy thing to do (lots of unnamed, unmarked paths, and no street numbers).--That is why so many folks fly banners or hang up something distinctive, or try to leave a marker along the trail. (Look for my "EL's Place" sign!!!)

Exploring for a few hours when you first get there is a wonderful idea, but remember that as more and more women pour onto the Land, the landscape changes around you. Even (especially) if you've left a decent bit of space btwn you and the next tent, you may find that the next time you come home, a new neighbor has squeezed into that space. Particularly in the densely packed areas, close in. The further from the action, the further the tents are apart. I think of it as living in the urban center vs the suburbs.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm
Site Admin

the roped off area behind the womb is for womb workers... as they are always on call so to speak.

Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm
Profile WWW

Ah. I see. I just knew they were workers.

Well then, Nefarious might just have meant that there are a lot of workers in the area around there, on the left side of Easy Street, where I camp.

Wed May 02, 2012 6:59 pm

EL - that is where I usually camp, and, yes, there are quite a few workers camped there. Crafters too. But if you get too close in, it is definitely more crowded.

Wed May 02, 2012 8:15 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks everyone! I knew you were out there! lol I think the hardest part for me, while trying to figure all this out, is that I have NO clue how big this land is. I am pretty sure I'll be shocked once I get there. All your suggestions sound great. I am 32 so the over 50's won't work and I will definitely be enjoying adult beverages when I can. So, I think I am going to be looking for somethin near workerville. The Zone sounds like the place for me if I were there as just a regular attendee. I'm gunna need my sleep. May just set up in Workerville at first and then move later. Who knows. All I know is, I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT! My soul needs this. :) Can't wait to meet all you lovely ladies!

Thu May 03, 2012 1:01 am
Profile YIM WWW

Also, wondering if there is a worker thread. I haven't seen one yet...

Thu May 03, 2012 1:17 am
Profile YIM WWW

The only showers that are turned on pre- and post-fest are the ones in workerville, so the idea of near showers as an amenity won't really be of use to you for half of your time if you are considering the further-out campgrounds. Same with the porta-potties - most are closed until the day before festies arrive. There might be one of a set open if it's an area where workers are setting up, like by the front gate, but if it's just an area for camping, expect that you'll need to go to workerville to use one.

I don't want to post the link to the crew facebook group on the open internet but if you would like an invitation that could easily be arranged.

Thu May 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Those are great things to keep in mind. I am sure I will stick pretty near to workerville. I am also sure that I will have a lot of stuff and am not going to want to try to relocate my camp.

If someone could invite me to the Facebook group that would be great. You can find me by searching my email address: moc.oohay@aboobabbuhc

Last edited by chubbabooba on Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 04, 2012 7:02 am
Profile YIM WWW

The Land is one square mile, so nothing is farther than that hypotenuse.
The Zone and Workerville are pretty much at opposite ends.
Sometimes folks put up a nap tent or a small gear storage tent somewhere, if it's too far to get back to the main site.

Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next