Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
I wanna wear a treeano tattoo! 

(We lost our thread in the board redesign, so I'm starting a new one)

OK, I'm ready to do this!

The guy at the tattoo place said there might be a problem with the design, with the thinner lines slowly disappearing as the black ink spreads into the skin. Has this happened to anyone? I found a really good image on an old brochure, close to the size I want, and it doesn't seem like there are any lines that thin.

So it's May 25, and I leave for fest on Aug. 5. How long will it take to heal? And does it really hurt? I'm a tattoo virgin!

Fri May 25, 2012 6:18 pm

I have several tattoos (hence my name) and I also create tattoos (both permanent and temporary). If you take good care of it during the healing process, follow ALL the instructions given to you, you should be healed in the amount of time that you normally heal from a scrape. Usually a couple weeks.

As for it hurting..... well, you are having needles poked into your skin. You will feel it, but it's tolerable. If at any point, it hurts too much, just let the tattooist know this. She/He can maybe work in a different area for a while and then come back to the sensitive spot. Most people, after getting a tattoo, describe it as a similar pain to getting a sunburn.

The most important thing though, is keeping it clean afterwards. It is a "wound", of sorts, and you should follow the instructions on cleaning and protecting it while it heals.

THEN....when you get to fest, or anytime outdoors, wear sunblock!!!

If I were planning a tattoo to show off at fest this year, (and I just might be), I would plan to get it at least a month in advance. That way it is sparkly and new and all healed up.

Where are you having the tattoo made? (on your body)

Fri May 25, 2012 7:35 pm
Profile WWW

Some parts of your body are more painful than others for a tattoo. I have tattoos over muscle, bone, and spine, and they were all different levels of pain. Over bone where you don't have much muscle or fat between the skin and bone is more painful. Over the spine didn't feel as painful at the time but was the only one I got a little woozy from, kind of like giving blood can do. It was also the one that took the longest, though, so that could have been a factor. The receptionist gave me apple juice and had me sit for a little bit before I walked back to the car. My friend had driven, which was good. My least painful one was over muscle, on my shoulder blade. I didn't really find that painful at all and I drove home just fine after that. I'd describe that like someone scratching me hard with a fingernail. Not the most pleasant thing to go on for half an hour, but not really painful. The only one that was painful afterward was the one that was over a part of my body that got bent frequently. Think of how when you get a scab on a part of your body, like a finger, and it's itchy and hurts a bit when you have to use that finger, but you wouldn't really notice a healing cut say, on the middle of your forearm where the skin doesn't really get bent and stretched.

Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks for all the advice and info. I've had plenty of sunburns in my day, being fair-skinned, so it sounds tolerable. As for placement, it'll be either my upper right arm, or my right shoulder blade.

Also, can anyone recommend a tattoo artist in the Boston area? There are lots of places to go, but I have no idea how to differentiate between them. Plus, the whole thing sounds kind of intimate; you probably wanna have it done by someone with good "vibes", yes? Has anyone really disliked a tattoo they got? What did you do?

Fri May 25, 2012 9:05 pm

I would suggest talking to the tatto artist about the tattoo you want done. Show her/him a drawing if you have one. Ask if it is something they can do. Definitely make sure you feel comfortable with them. Ask to see pictures of their work. Any good tattoo artist will have some kind of portfolio to show off. Look around their shop a bit. Does it look clean? Then make an appointment.

Bad tattoos can usually be re-worked, but it's costly and just not what you want to do if you can avoid it. I got a bad one once. I've had it touched up twice now. If it weren't on my shoulder I would be fixing it myself.

What pocket femme said is definitely true. Muscley areas are usually less painful. And areas where the bone is closer to the surface is usually more painful. Although, I have one on the inside of my wrist that I was warned would hurt really bad. It didn't. The most painful one I have had so far, are the ones I did to myself on my knee. The nerves are very sensitive there, and holy smokes, I had a hard time doing that. I had to keep telling myself to breathe.

Your choice of upper arm or shoulder blade are very common places and usually pretty easy to endure.

I'd love to see it when you get it done!

Fri May 25, 2012 10:39 pm
Profile WWW

Oh, I'll be showing it off, believe me!

After that, I want tattoos around my wrists. The left will say "Magical" & the right will say "Playful", to remind myself of how I want to proceed in the world. For that I need an artist or graphic designer to do the design. I figure when the tattoo-ee is ready, the designer will appear...

Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 am

IYD - I'm not sure how far you'd want to travel, but I love my artist in New Haven (3 hours from Boston?)... he did the memorial tattoo I have for my mom and he's a great guy.

Sat May 26, 2012 7:17 am

(duplicate post; sorry!)

Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 am

the pain is different for different people. I got a very large tattoo on my upper back, between my shoulder blades... it barely hurt the whole time. My sister got a matching one in the same place, and she was actually biting her purse strap to keep from crying. Fast forward, a year later, we are again getting matching tattoos, only this time on the outside of our lower legs, near, but above the ankle. She barely reacted, and I felt as if I were going to scream or hit the guy the whole time. Thank Goddess it was a much smaller one that time! :)

Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

Well, in your dreams? What's the status? Did you find an artist in Boston? I only have recommendations in NYC.

Stef Tamez at Adorned did some of my art-ink . http://stephanietamez.com/
She has a three month wait list, though. She has extra special skill with lettering and calligraphy.

If your heart is set on this year before fest, the window is closing on having new ink healed enough by Fest to be comfortable and not having to be extra careful, especially if the piece is large.

Where do you want to place the treeano? Per your original post, I wouldn't go with an artist who is trying to dissuade me from delicate work and fine lines. Might be more him and his skill level /confidence than the design. I have plenty of fine lines and no post ink bleed out to speak of and some of my tats are pretty old.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't think it's going to happen this summer *pouty face* I have to have surgery for a trigger finger on my right hand, and right now that's the priority. But it WILL happen. Thanks for all the encouragement and support. And See You in August! *runs off to play Amazon Womyn Rise video for the 25th time*

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]