Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Gluten-free options? 

I was diagnosed with gluten sensitivity 9 months ago and have to be very careful about cross contamination. I haven't lived a fest gluten free, but I have been looking into food options that will give me protein. Shelton's makes a canned chicken that tastes pretty good. Also you can get dehydrated foods that are gluten free and just add boiling water to rehydrate them.
http://www.trailfoodexpress.com/glutenfreeitems
A coleman stove or backpacking stove such as jetfoil will boil water fairly quickly.

I was wondering if re-washing the salad would be enough to de-contaminate any gluten?

I was thinking that if there are a lot of people with gluten sensitivity/celiac.. maybe fest could at least have a line of just gf pb, rice cakes, salad and fruit?

Tue May 29, 2012 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

I used those dehydrated foods 2 years ago (or tried to), and it did not work out.... The only one that worked for me was the potatoes... otherwise, they did not cook only with Boiled water.... and I bought the special cooking insulator too.

So.... I was going to try other ones this year, but, I wanted to warn you that they did not work for me.

Also, I found Gluten-free canned foods that might work if you bring a stove:

http://www.vitacost.com/Orgran-Gluten-F ... i-in-Sauce

Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi. I was wondering what kind of foods you tried and how long you cooked them for? I appreciate the advice because it gives me time to play with my foods to get it right before fest. I have very extensive food allergies in addition to the gluten and only found 2 items I can actually bring with me camping. I think though, it will help others decide what to buy if people can list what they like and dislike.

I did purchase a Jetboil stove and pot attachment which can actually cook food as well as boil water. It's a small backpacking stove that is light and suitable for those who fly to fest. I will be cooking my dehydrated foods as well as my instant quinoa cereal using my new stove (as soon as I learn how that is!)

I'll check out that link and see if I can have any of their products.

I think we should all meet up at fest and chat!

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:51 am
Profile WWW

I have tried the Chicken Gumbo, the Texas BBQ, the mash potatoes (which were good), and then a polenta one that is not listed.

The problem I found is that they never really cooked, especially at fest. I had boiling water, and (as I mentioned), this special cooking pouch. I even tried a couple at home, thinking that maybe it was the outside stuff... but, nope. They also never cooked at home. It was disappointing for sure!

Now, I bring Hardboiled eggs, a few slices of GF bread, and something for Saturday night (pasta night). That's proven to be easy yet enough. My friend just suggested that I put paper towels in between each bread slice to prevent molding (it normally molds by Saturday...)....

So, hope that's helpful!!

Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2