View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
higher bed options 

I wanted to ask everyone about bedding options for the differently abled...I can;t get down to the level of a regular air mattress, so I am considering a cot or a high air mattress. Can someone tell me in detail what the cots are like, how they are built, etc.? I have a bad back so I need support...couldn;t sleep on a piece of canvas stretched on a wood frame. Are there more comfy ones? Also, would I need to bring a pump for an air mattress? Or could I borrow one? I understand there is power in DART...Any suggestions/info would be very welcome!

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:19 am

I, myself, have not tried it, but I do know that some people use milk crates for risers and a sheet of plywood covered with a really thick foam mattress. As for air mattresses, there are some that are higher off the ground than the ones that sit just a few inches high. I know that I would be more than happy to let anyone use my air pump when I bring it. As, I'm sure, would anyone else camping near you. I think the one snag in that scenario would be the type of air pump your particular air mattress would use. I'm not certain they are all the same. Of course, if you bought one in advance, and asked for help on this board, I bet you would find someone that volunteer.

I don't really know what the DART area has available for your use. Hopefully someone else will post about that question.

I am sleeping on a cot this year, with a foam mattress on top.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:57 pm
Profile WWW

a friend of mine takes an air mattress that comes attached with legs, collapses into a bag and isn't too heavy. Takes a battery operated pump like most air mattresses

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:23 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Celia,

I switched from a high air mattress to a camping cot a couple of years ago and am so glad I did! I found a decent cot on eBay for about $60 including shipping. It has an aluminum frame and very strong nylon 'bed'. There is no sagging at all. It's about 24" off the ground so getting into and out of bed is easy. The height also makes it easy to store things underneath if that's something you can do. Carrying weight is about 12-15 lbs. I love my cot!

LaurieJB

Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:40 pm

We used Swedish Folding Cots from Land's End

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33300?fe ... Blue/White

They're really designed as guest beds, but they fold up well enough to load in the car for camping. They are quite steady. Because we already have Thermarest Dream Times, we put those on top of the cot and it's crazy comfortable.

Good to know: the folding cot is the same width as the XL Dreamtime.
Extra bonus: you can store stuff under your cot during festival.
Super extra bonus: we use these as guest beds at home when we have visitors.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:50 am

Hi Celia
I purchased a cot after many years of camping on a thermarest on the ground. I too, now find it difficult to go up and down like I used to. I put my new cot up in my apt to test it out for a few days- I found that with my thermarest on top and a nice set of sheets, I had a good nights rest. I would not want to sleep on the cot for the rest of my life, though! Love my memory foam mattress.
I considered using my air mattress- but for me- it does not hold air long enough for it to be as firm as I like.
I will be a festie virrgin- so can re-post in September after I have digested the whole experience!

Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:30 am

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Easy-Steel-Be ... k/11080079

Coleman Queen Size Double-High Air Bed with Pump

I have these two and they worked great I have back trouble and knew issues so laying on the ground will not work for this womyn.

The frame was not hard to put together at all or take down. I have mats for the ground and a rug so the legs of the frame don't poke a hole in my tent..

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Any suggestions for a moderately priced extra sturdy cot? I purchased one recently that claimed to be good for people up to 375 lbs. Iweigh 50 lbs less than that, but it was all bent out of shape after two nights of testing, and I will be returning it. Until recently, I have always been comfortable on just a regular thermarest, but my bad hip doesn't like that anymore.
Elizabeth

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm

Gleweliz wrote:
Any suggestions for a moderately priced extra sturdy cot? I purchased one recently that claimed to be good for people up to 375 lbs. Iweigh 50 lbs less than that, but it was all bent out of shape after two nights of testing, and I will be returning it. Until recently, I have always been comfortable on just a regular thermarest, but my bad hip doesn't like that anymore.
Elizabeth

I don't have a recommendation per se, but consider checking camping cots geared toward hunters. I remember when I was on my search for the perfect cot, I was impressed by the weight range and apparent sturdiness of hunting cots. (The prices were commensurate with quality, so I think this will be a bit of an investment.)

Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Hello.

I use the queen size bed that folds out like an accoridan, I think it is Coleman. Has a suede sleeve that the air mattress fits into. The air mattress is a heavier better weight mattress. I then top with a memory foam topper for more comfort and use real sheets. I have used this for the last three/four fests and used it over the fourth for a six day camping trip and was comfortable the whole time. This sits up off the ground and you can even sit on it to put on shoes, etc. It is a bit heavy, but I feel worth the weight since I am also fuller figured and cannot get up off the ground. I got at the evil empire (Wal-mart) on sale for $99. I think both Target and Kmart have a similar brand, although I think this one had a better mattress than at the other two stores.

My two cents

Akosua

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm

I got a Texsport Deluxe Folding Camp Cot:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NI ... 03_s00_i00

Unfortunately, a little too long for my tent (sloping sides), and I'd lose about 25% of what I paid for it to ship it back. If anyone is interested, I will bring it to fest and sell it to you at cost. Here are the specs:

Product Features
75" x 26" x 16"
Sturdy aluminum frame with steel legs
Water resistant coated 600 denier polyester cover with Velcro® wrap around closure for quick set-up
Weight limit of 250 lbs.

I'm bummed, because it's a nice solid cot and good for those who like a non-sagging surface. I slept on a similar one last year borrowed from a friend, and I felt well-rested. Anyone interested can message me here on the boards, or find me on the land (Amy, aka Ironwomyn), probably drumming with Ubaka or dancing salsa at the intensive workshops.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:39 pm

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/COT-100 add says it has 500# wt. capacity, aluminum. I haven't tried, still stuck with twin air mattress covered in duct tape, but someday...

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:17 pm

http://www.campetent.com/collapsible-cot.html for descriptions of various types of collapsible cots

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]