View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Ultra Minimalist Lists - Just for fun 

I'm having fun reading these minimalist lists.

You all have left off many things that feel essential to me, but even some of these ultra-minimalist lists have "water bottle" on them. Why bother with that? I never carry one at Fest. I just make it a habit to stop every time I go by one of the bubblers, and most times at a regular spigot. I don't just take a sip, I try to drink in a cup or so, and I've never been bothered by dehydration. I think I drink more than most folks, I just don't carry a water bottle.

I didn't see the "no borrowing" rule at first. I also don't pack dish soap in my kitchen bag. There is usually a couple bottles at the dish washing sink, and most meals come clean with out soap. If I really need to clean peanut butter off, or some other oily thing, and there is none at the sink, I just ask some one to give me a squirt-you don't need much at all.

You've all added shoes to the list. To me, I'm already wearing them, so do they really count as something to "pack"? My real life Fest list has the pair I'll be wearing, my good walking shoes, and, for rainy days, a pair of surfer shoes--mine don't have any mesh, so not even sand infiltrates, with a good rubber sole.

Sleeping at home, I need a "huggy" pillow. It's the largest pillow on the bed, and seems extreme to try to camp with. My solution is to use a blow-up beach ball, wrapped in a pillow case (or shirt, for the minimalists) You can get inflatable bath pillows, too, that could be your camp pillow. Packs down pretty darn small!

Rabbit, love that hammock tent thing!

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:27 pm

HOORAY for minimalist lists to help us all move toward "more womyn, less stuff"!
I've done two long sea kayak camping trips (5 weeks in Prince William Sound, Alaska and 3 weeks in Marlborough Sounds, New Zealand) and on both trips we packed all of our food for the trip, stove/tent/fuel/camping gear/clothes/etc. into sea kayaks. For those trips, I had two sets of clothes, one to get salty/wet/while paddling and one to wear in camp. They included nylon/poly blend long pants, silk and poly pro long underwear tops/bottoms, layers of fleece, rain gear, wind gear. Of course, we didn't see anyone else (just the two of us) and didn't care about how we smelled or looked.
I completely agree that a clothesline is more compact than sets of clothes. . .however, given the potential of humid weather and/or rain, I can absolutely promise you that jeans or other heavy cotton will NOT dry out overnight and, some years, probably not for days, if at all. If you really want to do the minimalist clothing thing and plan on washing out clothes, I highly recommend using something other than cotton clothing. If you want to use natural fibers instead of nylon/poly, then check out silk and rayon options. Sarongs are most often made of rayon. Silk long underwear is a lightweight warm layer. Reading these minimalist lists and thinking of the fest nights when it got down into the 40s, and night stage nights when it was chilly and dewy, I encourage you to have a few more warm layers, including a fleece hat.

Re: carrying a water bottle or not. . .dehydration is VERY sneaky, and many people are chronically dehydrated just going about their daily lives. When you're dehydrated, you generally don't feel thirsty. Dehydration makes your brain fuzzier and saps energy/makes you feel tired. I think we all should be drinking LOTS more water at fest than we do at home, especially if you drink caffeine or alcohol, both of which are dehydrating.
"Drinking a cup or two every time you go by a spigot" may work for some womyn if they walk by the spigots a lot, but I think would be a recipe for dehydration for me and others of us who spend a lot of time at stages or workshop areas. If you're not peeing every two hours or so, you're probably dehydrated. (can you tell I just got back from visiting family in the central valley of California where it was 105 degrees in the shade!). . .

so, now, to print out the minimalist lists, and print out my old fest packing list and see what I can do without. The one thing I know is that every year I vow to take fewer clothes. If it is warm, I don't wear many clothes (and wear LOTS of sunscreen). If it is cold, I have one good set of warm/dry layers.

happy fest dreaming. . .
SKWD

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:18 pm

For me, "everytime I go by one" means a dozen or more times a day. and yeah, when I'm at a stage, I usually also drink something from the refreshment stands, plus a bottle of water in my tent at night, a couple cups hot tea in the morning. and popsicles!

I'm pretty sure I'm not chronically dehydrated. At home, in this heat, I go thru about 3 quarts a day, mostly ice water.

SKWD I'm in awe of your sea kayaking. sounds like two fabulous trips. I recently had the opportunity to rent an (open) kayak and paddle around Santa Barbara harbor for a few hours. We saw sea lions up close and dolphins and starfish. very very fun. even if it's small potatoes compared to your adventures.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:34 pm

EL,
Yes, you go by the water spigots more frequently than I do at fest. 3 quarts a day of water/non-caffeinated beverages is great and my guess is that many womyn drink far less than that.

"Drinking a lot of water" is REALLY a matter of perspective. . .years ago on a sea kayak trip I was leading in the San Juan Islands near Seattle, one woman got heat exhaustion (exhaustion, nausea, vomiting overnight/in the morning). I hadn't been thinking we were at great risk for heat exhaustion as the conditions weren't that hot. . .but we had been out paddling in the sun/breeze a lot the day before, and when I asked her how much water she drank during the many hours of paddling that day, she said, "oh, I drank a lot of water. I drank almost my whole water bottle." She held up a SMALL/under a quart size water bottle. That was a VERY important lesson to me as an outdoor leader and person who goes on outdoor trips with friends. Since then, I make sure I am more explicit, not just saying "drink a lot of water" or asking if someone has drunk a lot of water, but specifying quantities. 2-3 quarts a day is a minimum for doing physical activity in warm/hot weather.
I also use Electro-Mix or similar electrolyte drinks (little packets like the Emergen-C packets that turn a quart of water into a "sports drink" without the sugar/etc.).

And, yes, I feel very fortunate to have been able to do a lot of sea kayaking between the mid-80s and 2000. These days, I don't paddle as much as I used to. And, it is always wonderful to be able to see wildlife and birds while paddling. That's great that you saw so much on your trip. I hope you can have more opportunities to get out in a kayak and enjoy!

If you want to have some FABULOUS "virtual" sea kayaking adventures and to learn a LOT about minimalist packing/creative gear use, read Audrey Sutherland's two books: "Paddling My Own Canoe" about kayaking in Hawaii in the late 1960's and the 1970s and her brand-new book, "Paddling North" about several of the many trips she did in Southeast Alaska. Her motto is "go simple, go solo, go now." Both books are available from powells dot com (an independent bookstore with a great way to buy new and used books online). Audrey has been my sea kayaking hero since I first read Paddling My Own Canoe in 1986. . .she's now 91, and I got to meet her/spend two hours with her last week while I was on a work trip to Hawaii. . .she's full of great stories and has a bright spirit and meeting her was one of the highlights of my life. I've been asked to write a review of Paddling North for Sea Kayaker magazine and I'm thrilled. . .

Any other minimalist gear ideas??
SKWD

Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:15 pm

Laughing! I just can't call myself a minimalist in any way shape or form. As you can see from my List of Lists in the OTHER packing list thread!!

But I'll be checking in here to see what others have to say!

Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Love reading this thread, and the other packing list thread. I can hardly believe that the most recent post here is June 2012!
Bumping to spur interest.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:52 am

Ok no borrowing items because we like to be self sufficient. Sun evening line to the next Monday morning stay. Here is another updated list.

Staying in community tent:
sheet for hot nights
sleeping bag
travel blow up pillow

If bringing a tent:
small freestanding tent (seam sealed beforehand)
sleeping bag/sheet
travel blow up pillow

Cause is does get hot and stinky and washing doesn't always happen or it is too damp. Packed in bag with trashbag lining in case of rain.
8 tshirts (less if you plan on buying some at Fest)
4 shorts
1 warm pants or jeans for cold/rain
8 pairs panties
crocs/no socks

toiletries:
soap
2 in 1 shampoo
deodorant
comb
diva cup/wipes/baggies or pads
toothbrush
toothpaste (do not spit in the ferns - my pet peeve)
hand towel for drying

Day bag:
21 heavy duty paper plates and spork or disposble utensils in a gallon size ziplock
lightweight poncho for rain and sitting upon
bug/sun lotion
water bottle
prescription meds
clip on flashlight on bag
zip up hoodie for cold weather
pen/note pad
gallon size ziplock for program
cash/id/debit card
sunglasses

Luxury or other items:
drum
air mattress and pump
cell phone/battery backup charger
beverages/snacks/cooler

You need to expect it to be hot/dry and cold/wet. This no frills list is very close to what I actually bring to fest when I come by myself.

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:08 pm

As a worker I'd be there 2-3 weeks. Didn't use short sleeved Ts: am and pm wore long sleeves and fleece, then tank and shorts mid-day. Smartwool longjohns were warm in cold times, great for sleeping (saved a blanket). Contact lens cases for toothpaste, deo gel, first aid cream etc. Snack-size ziplocks for organizing stuff visibly. Dish cloth for towel, w washcloth to wring out again and again (scarcely even need the dishcloth then). Sarong and bandana had a dozen uses each. Tupperware (Lock 'n Lock) instead of dishes: to eat in or carry out. Couple small LED lights vs heavy flashlight. Safety pins vs clothes pins. Even on ultra minimal, I'd still include earplugs and eyeshade, bug stuff. Small folding umbrella vs raingear. Cardboard from the recycling piles for tent pad, tent floor, cardboard boxes for organizing gear in tent-- return to recycling on the last Saturday or Sunday.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2