View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
What will you do/bring differently next year? 

I have no idea whether the fabric softener thing will work to keep mosquitoes away, but I know for sure that it will give me a headache if I'm anywhere near someone who does that. . .they are reallllllly challenging for anyone with any kind of sensitivity to scents. . .

Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:43 am

Say it, sister! Those things are TOXIC. Instant migraine for me if I get near them.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Now that you mention it, I'm one of those chemically-sensitive people. What was I thinking????? I was thinking about mosquitos, obviously, and not splitting headaches. Oh, well.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:52 pm

So I've decided on the spur of the moment to just bring biodegradeable disposable plates and silverware. I can't stand the dishwashing line. There are some made of sugar cane-going on a shopping mission this week! Hope I find some.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 am

nightengale,
what about taking disposable plates and a "real" set of silverware? the "biodegradable" silverware isn't very biodegradable, not accepted by commercial composters in my area because it takes too long to degrade, AND a friend who is writing her dissertation on hormonal disruptions caused by plastic says that the "compostable" plastic probably contains more than just the corn/potatoes/etc. they say it does. . . probably contains plastic.
AND, the degradable plastic silverware often partially melts when in contact with hot food . . .
So, why not just carry a set of real silverware, give it a good rinse/wipe with your water bottle after use, keep it in a little bag with your plates?
I help organize an 800-person Free Harvest Supper, and we've found that the Chinet-type paper plates or similar are sturdiest/still compostable. . .anything that has a "smooth/waterproof" coating is plastic coated. . .

just my two cents. . .
SKWD
PS: my "dishwashing system" that I've used for decades on outdoor trips is to scrape the bowl/plate really well (and/or wipe with clean TP/kleenex), then pour some of my water bottle water on to the bowl/plate, swirl it around, drink the water, repeat. I only use the fest dishwashing sink a few times during the week after particularly greasy/oily meals. . .

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:06 am

I use a lightweight bamboo set with fork, knife, spoon, and chopsticks. I pretty much clean them after each meal by licking them and wiping them with my all purpose handkerchief. Gross? Maybe. Do I care? No.

This is their third festival and they're still going strong.

If you want to avoid dishwash, buy paper plates that are uncoated and super easy to biodegrade. Then keep a bamboo paper plate "holder" in your backpack so the plate isn't floppy. It's not a perfect solution, but if you really want to avoid dishwash (and I hear you on that one, sister), it's a better solution.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 am

Babs wrote:
I use a lightweight bamboo set with fork, knife, spoon, and chopsticks. I pretty much clean them after each meal by licking them and wiping them with my all purpose handkerchief. Gross? Maybe. Do I care? No.

Babs, you rock!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 am

getting in line to wash dishes, talking to other wimmin, flirting, I think I'll "keep on washin'"

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:32 am
Profile WWW

I hear everybody on the plastic silverware-I do have a bamboo set-I'll bring that. I guess I thought it was more biodegradable than it sounds like it is. Now, to find non Georgia Pacific paper plates...

tropidyke, you make it sound fun! I'm a little shy and reclusive (maybe why I attend fest alone), though, so I just want to eat and get out of there. It's more the dealing with the soapy sponge, etc, the cold water, etc.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Chinet plates + regular old silverware from the drawer...best of both worlds. I'm sold! I think I'll also bring a small reusable container for any leftovers I want to take back to my campsite. Or in case there's pouring rain and I need to make a run for it!

Nightengale, I hear ya on the shy/reclusive thing. :) Solo all the way!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 pm

I just got my new fan/light combo; I think I'm gonna love it! Also bought some Via coffee thingies from Starbucks. And I have my adorable screen dome tent I mentioned before. Wow; three new things this year. I guess you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm

New for me this year will be landscape cloth inside my vestibule and some top notch rain gear.

Elizabeth

Fri May 31, 2013 2:21 pm

new for me this year is - LESS GEAR

Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 pm
Profile WWW

Wow--now I am thinking too of bringing paper plates. Generally don't believe in them, but at fest I am always rushing around trying to do too many things. So reducing my time on one activity could be a good thing. But I guess they would have to be stored in my backpack. Couldn't leave them by the hanging dish bags. Any other ideas on this?

Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 am

Not very environmentally friendly but, they make a "plastic" type plate & bowl (usually red or blue)I use a bowl on Sunday night so that I can pack my food bag early. I rinse out the bowl to take on the trip back home.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next