View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Headlamp caution 

Just wanted to put out my annual request to those who use headlamps. Remember that the headlamp shines at whatever you're looking at. So, if you look at a woman walking towards you on the path, it shines into her eyes, momentarily blinding her, and ruining her night vision for longer. So, if you choose to use a headlamp when walking the paths, please keep it tipped down towards the path directly in front of you. Better yet, hold it, or use a regular flashlight when walking, and save the headlamp for when you're inside the Janes or at your campsite. Just my two cents.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:10 pm

That's good feedback. I've never yet used a headlamp but I've been considering getting one for this year... mostly for times when it's helpful to be hand-free like in the janes (and because they're nice and compact). If I do go ahead, I'll keep your caution in mind!

Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:13 pm

I use a headlamp and find it very useful inside my tent. On paths, I try to keep it in my hands and point it at the ground so as to not shine it in anyone's face.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:21 am

Thanks for your consideration! And pass it on to your friends.....

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 am

i tend not to use flashlights at night b/c its shiny and distracts me. when someone flashes me in the eyes with a headlamp i loose all ability to see for at least a minute and it takes another few minutes to get my "night eyes" back. yeah not fun. please be careful with them. i strap mine to my belt if i bring one at night.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:21 pm

I always wear the headlamp hanging around my neck, with the lamp pointing at the ground, as you only really need to see the area around your feet for walking. Works wonderfully, blinds no one...

Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:46 am

I try to go to bed before it gets dark.

(What? I have to get up early!)

Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 am

bump for headlamp etiquitte!

Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:27 am

I have a baseball cap with lights in it. Two face directly forward (in the visor), and two face down. I can control them with a button on the side of the visor. When I am out and about, I make sure I use the ones that face down, they light my way on the path perfectly. In my tent for reading, I use the ones in the visor that point forward.

I got this hat last year (@ Lowes, I think), and it was the best $15 I have ever spent. It is especially awesome in the janes at night - plenty of hands-free light and no forgetting my flashlight in a toilet paper roll. And it means that all I have to bring is one hat (though I do bring a small, emergency flash light...just in case ;o) - it shields my eyes from the sun during the day, and it shows me the way at night.

Very highly recommended!

Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:54 pm

just purchased one of those baseball style caps as a gift for someone -camo/hunting style. maybe I'll borrow it for fest! Thanks Jillith, for the reminder!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:16 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]