View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Upcycle this! 

Sew, (pun intended) I'm hunting T-shirt upcycle ideas.

A bit of backstory: Some of you may remember that I've been pretty frustrated with the increasing number of cameras on the land, and the increasing willingness of womyn to photograph other womyn without their permission. This year, I'm looking for inexpensive ways to wear things that are fun and a change of pace from my everyday clothing.

I also have a large number of T-shirts. I run, and participate in fundraisers, and I so I have a relatively large number of T-shirts available for upcycling purposes. I was with some of my students at a student conference a couple weeks ago, and I saw a T-shirt that had to have been too large for the person in question, so she cut open the seams, cut slits in the fabric, and then tied the strips of fabric into knots, Effectively making the shirt a bit smaller, and also showing a little skin. Did that one last night. I'm itching to do more.

Anyone have good ideas? Website recommendations?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 am

Are you wanting to remake into some other kind of wearable item? I've seen several web pages that instruct on how to turn a tshirt into a vest. Of course, you can always make a quilt or pillow case. I've also seen rag rugs made from them, but you wouldn't necessarily be able to see the graphics of the shirt on that one. If you have pinterest, there are lots of ideas there.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:50 am
Profile WWW

Hammi - my pinterest page has a board called fabric and fiber that has a ton of ideas on it - I was going to try some this week. Also, I went to a workshop last year where someone offered a handout of ideas... think it was from a book on upcycling t-shirts. Maybe the library?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:12 am

I love making quilts from t-shirts! My profile pic on my FB page (michele chapais) shows a quilt I made from t-shirts that belonged to a guy who died and whose wife wanted quilts made for their kids from his clothes. (Those pics are there too, in the Michele' Quilts album under Photos.) But I took one look at the pile of t-shirts she handed me and went, "I think those want to be a quilt all by themselves", and she said "That'll be my quilt, then". I do think it turned out rather nicely, and the minute she saw it she started looking for a wall big enough to hang it on!

Now I'm a bit of a crazy person about t-shirts; my friends give me all the ones they're getting rid of, and I catalogue and file them in milk crates, one crate per color. I have about 26 crates now; over 465 different colors! I know this b/c I'm in the process of making a charm quilt with one small piece from each t-shirt, and I counted them. It may take forever, but it's gonna be GORGEOUS.

This person makes braided rugs from t-shirts:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/82401238/br ... aign=Share

Have fun!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 am

Hammi, I rip up/restyle tshirts all the time! The books that go with this blog have given me so many ideas. The blog itself illustrates many of the examples from the books, and has some of the instructions. I'll be sporting several of my remade shirts at fest this year.

http://www.generation-t.com/

(edited to correct the link.)

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:21 pm

that's the book - yay Alex!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:40 pm

cool books. And my library has them - whoo hoo

Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:46 pm

I have cut up old t-shirts to make halter tops out of them. I got the idea from a Season 4 episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

google "t-shirt halter top" (make sure you're on google images)

You'll get some excellent ideas!

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 am

Each year that I've been to fest, I've had some kind of association with getting ready. There was the year that I waited tables to pay for it, the year that I bought all kinds of new lightweight camping things so I could fly.

This year is likely to be remembered as the year I cut up all those T-shirts.

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:32 am

I saw one site where the lady turned her old t-shirts into really cute panties. She did it so the logo or whatever was right on her butt. It was really adorable. I'll see if I can find the link again.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

this is it. It is really cute. If I had any kind of sewing skill at all, I would totally make these!

http://www.supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=70

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:38 pm
Profile WWW

OMG, these are adorable! Of course, it helps to have a butt that looks like hers...

P.S. I got both of those books out of the library. I am astonished at how many things you can do to a t-shirt! Astonished, I tell ya!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Wow! That's amazing.

Now looking to see if there are a couple more I can use...

Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

I saw this in a book and thought it'd be fun to try: Duct Tape Corset! Wear an old tight fitting tee shirt, have a helper wrap duct tape around you, cut it off you up the middle, trim, use a grommet kit to punch holes, add laces, and voila: custom made to fit corset.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 am

You could make it with that brown paper tape, too, and paint in any way you'd like. I'm sensing a workshop for next year? I'll come!

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next