View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
raccoon proof food storage 

Need suggestions for raccoon proof food storage. I won't be bringing a lot, just my pills and some protein bars. what has worked well for others?

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:29 pm

I use a small/ 6-pack or so size hard plastic cooler, with two bungie cords tightly wrapped around it. Then I tie a parachute cord or so thickness rope between two trees as high as I can get it. I clip the cooler to the rope with a mini-carabiner. I make sure the trees are far enough apart that they can't jump from the tree to the cooler, although not sure how important or feasible that is in DART.

I started doing the hang it from the rope thing after the morning I got up and the bungied cooler which had been sitting outside my tent was nowhere to be found. . .. I walked around in everwidening circles around my tent (I camp out in the hinterlands where there aren't neighbors anywhere nearby) and eventually found the cooler FAR away from my tent. . .bungies pulled off, cooler open, ziplock bags torn. . .

not sure how womyn handle it in DART/downtown, but my guess is that a bungied small cooler hung up somehow would be fairly raccoon-proof. . . hopefully some DART/downtown campers will respond. . .

happy packing!
SKWD

Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I stayed in dart last year. I had food snacks in a rubbermaid tote and bacon in a cooler. Never had any problems but from what I've read I was lucky.
Jo

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:01 pm

More than a couple decades at Fest, been hearing about racoons since the first one. NEVER encountered a one of them.

Once I had chipmunks, (or some kind of ground squirrel) punch thru a plastic bag holding brown sugar. I imagined them cramming fist fulls of it into their mouths, till they staggered off in a glucose-induced stupor. Nothing else touched.

IMHO, a lightweight container that will do the trick would be a tin that held popcorn or candy or Christmas cookies. No, I don't bungee anything. Maybe once around with duct tape.

I know others have amazing tales of racoons who have attended "how to open a cooler" classes. They will say this isn't sufficient, but it's worked for me for some number of years.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I think it matters *a lot* where you camp, and if your neighbors leave things that smell like food hanging around or not.

The only time I've ever had issues with raccoons is when I camped near a group of people who were fond of leaving out opened boxes of crackers, half-filled bottles of beer and garbage that smelled like food.

My theory is that they go to what they smell, and then they start trying to get into things where they smell goodies. Once they think that there are goodies in the area, they will go to any length to get to them.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:17 pm

I camp in Over 50's (next door to DART) and I've never had racoon or other critter problems. I suspect that most of racoons are in the less populated areas of the land, rather than DART or Over 50's.
I don't bring a whole lot of food. I use light-weight soft-sided cooler bags with detachable straps, and hang them from tree branches.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Yeah, I think location must be a big part of it. I'm extremely urban at Fest.

Once at a (non-Fest) campsite, we sat next to the dwindling fire and watched a raccoon (not 5 feet from us) pull a big cast iron skillet off the grill and into the woods to eat the bacon grease.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks for the ideas! I'm somewhat apprehensive about being in DART since I really like quiet, but maybe the absence of raccoons will make up for it. Never underestimate the power of a raccoon! Gotta respect their dexterity and problem-solving abilities.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:28 pm

I've camped in the Zone for 5 years and never seen a raccoon or had my food touched - and I leave snacks out in the open!

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, me too. This will be my 20th fest and I usually have some snacks with me...in ziplock bags. I have never had raccoon issues either. I've camped close in and further out over the years. Maybe they just don't like the things I like to snack on... ;o)

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:46 pm

The absolute worse year I ever had was the time I camped in the Craftswomyn camping area. It was insane! I felt like I was on the Raccoon highway! The womon in the tent next to me had an actual face-off with a raccoon who tore a hole in her tent and wanted her bag of chips. Another womon nearby kept leaving her uneaten dinner on the ground outside her tent. My little 12-pack cooler was dragged off twice, but they never figured out how to push the button on the side to get inside. I have never slept in that area since.

Bush Gardens seems pretty safe to me.

Last edited by TofuTattoo on Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

Anyone know how well vacuum food sealers work to dissuade critters? I'm bringing a bunch of baked goods this year, all sealed up tight.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:16 am

I love raccoon stories.

I've seen plenty of them (live and in person) over the years. I camp downtown. I have witnessed them carry off small coolers and roll a metal canister of snacks far into the woods.

This is what I do:

I have a rubbermaid tub I keep outside my tent. At home, with the lid in place, I drilled about six holes in the lid (also drilling thru the bin itself). My snacks go inside the bin at night and I thread zipties through the holes and pull them tight. To get a snack out, you have to cut the zipties on half the bin and lift the lid like a hinge. This means you have to re-zip it every night.

They seem unable to thwart the zipties and unwilling to move such a large tub into the woods.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]