View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Quirky Camping Tricks 

Pstyle, Pstyle, Pstyle!!!

Stand to pee! No worries about dirty Janes or missing TP!
thepstyle.com

And they are surprisingly inexpensive. I just got mine in the mail, I'm so excited!!! I must have ended up in a TPless Jane like fifty times last year. And in the middle of the night, it'll be easier to aim into the hallowed potty ziplock! :)

Last edited by MuddyFox on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 pm

MuddyFox~ I got mine years ago at Fest Crafts. Love it.

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:31 pm
Profile YIM

Does anyone know how much activated charcoal does it take to absorb the moisture in a 2-3 person tent? Would a cup or so be enough?

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 pm

a note about p-styles. Please please please, lift the seat even if you have great aim.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:42 am

jolinem~ I have no personal experience, but on DIY it says a bowl full for a bathroom. I'm thinking that's about the size of a 2-3 person tent (not to mention you don't have a shower IN your tent! DO YOU??!). I would say 2 cups should be fine, but maybe someone with experience will chime in. I plan on trying it this year also. I hope it helps with the morning dampness as that really bothers my RA.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:26 pm
Profile YIM

Thanks ToNiC. Nope, no shower in my tent. I looked at the pet store today and they have different sizes of mesh sacks filled with activated charcoal for aquariums . Some looked like they might be around two cups so maybe I'll go for that size.

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Jolinem~Damn, cuz if you DID have a shower IN your tent, I was gonna find u! lol
Thanks for the pet store info! I'll have to look there, also! Let me know about what they charge, if you don't mind.:-)

Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:53 pm
Profile YIM

ToNiC - Yes, a shower in the tent would be very handy. If I get that one figured out I will let you know! As I recall the size that I think would be close to two cups (maybe it was more like a cup and a half, I'll have to look again) was $9.99. There were some smaller ones for less, the smallest being $4.99. The owner told me that you can also buy a larger package of charcoal without the mesh bag and purchase the mesh bag seperately to get a bit more more charcoal at a more economical price, but I don't know what the pricing would be on that as they were out of stock in those. The pet store in my town is very small, so there might be more sizes available in bigger stores.

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 am

I just bought a container of Damp Rid for $2. That should be ok right? I know it dries up a basement pretty well.

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:11 am

ejbbrooklyn, ToNiC - I wasn't familiar with DampRid, but just spoke with someone who was and they said it would work well for the tent.You may already know all this, but here's what they said about it:
-Once it's opened it turns to liquid and is corrosive (it's a kind of salt) so careful not to let it get spilled in tent, probably good to put the tub in another bowl. If it gets on skin not a big deal but rinse thoroughly with water.
- It is biodegradable and safe for septic systems, so okay to pour into portapottie at the end of the week, but not good to pour down sink with metal pipes. Also okay if it gets on the ground, being biodegradable.
- Small tub weighs 13oz
-The person I spoke with thought it would absorb more humidity that charcoal

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:41 pm

jolinem~ hmmm.... camping with a 4 yr old though? I'll have to think about that. Maybe some sort of sturdy container with a lid with holes poked in it.... Thanks for the info.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm
Profile YIM

I'm not so sure about how the various charcoal/damprid etc. things would work in a tent. . . seems like they'd work best in a fully enclosed space/not open to outside air, such as in a closet or a basement or such. In a tent, I think it would sort of be like trying to use an air conditioner in a tent... you'd be air conditioning the world, or with charcoal/etc., dehumidifying the world.

I assume there will be some dampness from condensation as the humid air cools down. ..and I cover my stuff in my tent with large contractor size garbage bags, and make sure that I leave my tent completely closed up when I'm away from it. . . and I keep anything that really can't get wet (phone/wallet/book) in ziplock bags or such. . .

I'm VERY curious to hear how the various de-damping things work. . .

SKWD

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:11 pm

ToNiC, I don't have any kids but am a little concerned about myself with an open bowl of liquid in my tent! The lid with holes sounds like a really good idea. I might try that myself. Otherwise charcoal might be the safer experiment for me even if less effective. I tend to get really cold when damp, so would be great to lessen that a bit.

Thanks SKWD for suggestion about covering things with plastic bags - that sounds like a good idea whether I try one of the other things or not. My tent has a lot of airflow through it, it's mostly mesh itself, with a fly over it. So I'm guessing that things will get more damp than in a more enclosed tent but hoping that maybe things will dry out okay with the airflow. Guess I'll have to see how it goes.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:34 pm

Does anyone happen to know what direction the prevailing winds come from on the land?

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:36 pm

jolinem,
Actually, your mostly mesh tent may be less damp as it may be less likely to have condensation than a more closed up tent. . . And, of course, if it is a dry/breezy day, it would be great to have it open to air out.

I think the prevailing wind is from the west/the lake, but I'm not sure, and generally feel very directionally challenged on the land, which I don't in other places.

In terms of being cold when it is damp. . .I HIGHLY recommend that you wear something other than cotton and have bedding that isn't cotton. . . silk or polypro long underwear or fleece next to the skin makes a huge difference. And, for sleeping, don't wear what you've been wearing during the day, to avoid the dampness of any sweat. And, clean, dry, non-cotton socks for sleeping and a fleece or wool hat for sleeping. . . from LOTS of experience on kayak and canoe trips in damp places, I can say that all of those things make a huge difference... oh, also, to have multiple lightweight layers instead of fewer heavier layers. . .and to have clothes that aren't too tight. . .

hope this all helps. . .and that you stay nice and toasty warm when it is cool out at fest. . .
SKWD

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next