Countdown to Festival:
Days  
Hours  
Minutes  
Seconds
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
biodegradeable/earth-friendly conditioner for my kid's hair 

Hi. My daughter has some crazy tangly hair, and I use a ton of conditioner in it just so I can brush it without hurting her. At home, I use Suave products, and I know that they make (or used to, anyway) biodegradable shampoo, but I haven't been able to find any biodegradable conditioner. Can anyone recommend a brand I can use on the Land? I can wash her hair in Dr. Bronner's, so shampoo isn't such an issue, but I really, really need to get some conditioner, above and beyond the detangler spray I use when I'm actually brushing it. Thanks for your ideas.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 am
Profile YIM

Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Fortifying Conditioner 13 oz bottle is like $2.96 at Walmart. It is 92% biodegradable.
Otherwise, Burt's Bees & Dr. Bronner's both make a biodegradable conditioners as well.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:49 am
Profile YIM

howdoyoueatanelephant wrote:
Hi. My daughter has some crazy tangly hair, and I use a ton of conditioner in it just so I can brush it without hurting her. At home, I use Suave products, and I know that they make (or used to, anyway) biodegradable shampoo, but I haven't been able to find any biodegradable conditioner. Can anyone recommend a brand I can use on the Land? I can wash her hair in Dr. Bronner's, so shampoo isn't such an issue, but I really, really need to get some conditioner, above and beyond the detangler spray I use when I'm actually brushing it. Thanks for your ideas.

If your daughter's hair tangles easily, I would not shampoo it with Dr. Bronner's. It will tangle it up something awful. Pick a Suave shampoo that is bio-degradable instead.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:38 am

I second Babs suggestion. I have tangly hair and Dr. Bronnors is a nightmeare from hell and will get worse every consecutive day you use it. I have used many things over the years and none were all that great. My hair was a mess by the end of the week. I started using a leave-in conditioner that my hair absorbed the last few years because none of the biodegreadeable stuff worked well and I was tired of wasting money on it. This year tho, I just cut it off!

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:20 am
Profile YIM

scout~ there you go - problem solved! lol

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:26 am
Profile YIM

We do the best that we can and 92% biodegradable is better than a lot of products available. 100% biodegradable is best. I use Desert Essence products. They are available through drugstore.com, and my local natural foods store sells them at a 25% discount off the manufacturer's list price. There is a fragrance-free version in case you have scent issues (or just to keep the insects away at fest) or there's a coconut for dry hair. I've only used the fragrance-free. My hair is such that I could not go a day without conditioner but I can use a pretty light one. The fragrance-free one is fairly lightweight. I don't know if the coconut might be heavier if it's intended for dry hair.

http://www.drugstore.com/desert-essence ... tid=183400

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... tid=183400

Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

I was thinking about bringing the fructis biodegradeable shampoo and conditioner. My wife and I tried it at home first to make sure it worked for her hair (I have short hair but she has very tangle prone long hair). I liked it but she did not. She had to use three or four times her normal amount of conditioner just to comb her hair out in the shower. If you are going to use it I would recommend trying it at home first.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:00 pm

My daughter's hair is the same way and we also try to do fragrance free because otherwise the bugs are attracted to the perfumes and bite up her face. The best one we've found so far has been Earth Science. I just ordered some from Vitacost. I also try to keep her hair braided and have used the conditioner in water as a spray detangler. I've also heard vinegar and water in a spray bottle works, but haven't tried it.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:40 pm

The best way to deal with curly hair, I have found is to not do a conditioner and rinse, use a leave in conditioner. It works to minimize frizziness as well. We have been using Bumble and Bumble Leave In Conditioner.

So we wash our hair, then when we are back at the site, put a quarter size or smaller on the hands, rub hands together and run thoroughly through the hair, wiping the extra on the ends (which dry).

It isn't cheap but it lasts a long time.

/The curly haired family.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:43 am

Hey, everyone. Thanks for all the replies and tips... I'm glad I didn't just go ahead and use the Doc Bronner's... I ended up getting Suave products, since it's what we're using at home now. According to the customer service line, the stuff I bought is bio-degradable. Hope they're right.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:43 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]