View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Do you have a tent that didn't leak this year or last year? 

It's final- I am breaking up with my tent. It leaked last year and despite my best efforts, it happened again this year. So I am in the market for a new tent. I know there's a tent thread, but I was hoping to specifically hear about tents that made it through last year's storm and this year's rain without leaking.

I'm thinking I need to go for a full rainfly and something with a front "porch/vestibule" for removing wet stuff before entering the tent.

So who stayed nice and dry?

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am

My non-waterproofed, 5 year old Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3 made it through this year in fine form. It's a compact backpacking tent with a fitted groundcloth and full cover rain fly (no vestibule). The tree cover back up in Jupiter helped too.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 am

Mountain Hardwear Skyview 3 was dry as toast, as always. Nice big vestibule for storing gear. Easy to set up and take down. Compact and lightweight. Good ventilation. I love my tent. The very first time I used it, years ago, we had nonstop heavy rain for 5 days and nights. We were totally dry in the tent. I have never put a tarp over it. My partner and I have slept in there with four dogs, who do not understand the thing about not touching the sides, and we have all been dry and comfortable. They are not making the Skyiew model anymore, but do look into the Mountain Hardwear brand. I would trust mine in a hurricane.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 pm

My tent is a 15 year old North Face. I had a few drips this year after spraying the rain fly with waterproofer but I have never gotten rain in that tent in the whole 15 years. It was expensive but I am willing to spend money on anything that keeps me dry and warm. Well worth it.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:48 pm

The two tents I've taken to fest are my Mountain Hardwear Atrium and Sierra Designs Asp. No leaks, no tarp, no ground protection, full rain fly, no extra seam sealing in 10 years of hard use. All of my sleeping gear is down and it stayed dry. I felt awful for my soggy sisters, though everyone I met was in remarkably good spirits on Thursday and Friday.

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:14 pm

I have a Marmot Halo 4 person tent and it performs beautifully in heavy rain/thunderstorms. It has two doors and two vestibules and it's easy for one person to set up. It's my favorite tent!

Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:28 pm

i have a 7 year old cheapie from walmart which ive never sealed....... ummmm did not know i should have..... doesnt leak but at 9 by 9 it is a smidge to short for me to fully stand in. does not leak though never has. the tent has a mesh top and a full fly cover.

it needs cleaned a little but if anyone wants it and would pay shipping i would happily send it on to a new home it fits a cot well and plenty of room for stuff but i have arthritis and need a tent i can build a platform in and stand up in

the tent is ozark trails i believe.

Last edited by mamadiana1 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Eureka Tetragon 3-person. Have used it for 6 years or so. This is the first year I had some slight rain seepage from one of the corner seams, so I'll be seam sealing it for the first time before using it again. But other than that, it's been an excellent tent.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I use a Eureka Sunrise 9, and I have not encountered any leaks. There was some water near the door this year, but I think it was from the door being open in the rain as there is no vestibule. I don't use a tarp, and I have never seem sealed it.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:13 pm

Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 3 - it is bomb proof in the rain - I live in Oregon

Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:46 am

I'll second that Eureka Sunrise recommendation. It doesn't have a vestibule, but it's a great, dry tent. Perfect for one person and her gear.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:54 am

It blows my mind that people don't put a tarp under their tent. That was a given for me camping with my mom and Girl Scouts. This year I used a smaller ground tarp that fit under my tent (with the tent overlapping about 3-5 inches all around) and I had only one small leak instead of the normal 4 puddles lol. And when I took everything down Monday it was bone dry underneath everything.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 am
Profile WWW

I always used to use a ground cloth, but the awesome tent I have now just doesn't need one. Less to carry.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:01 pm

Kelty Gunnison 4 had it for 6 years...never a leak...the rain fly that goes all the way to the ground is key

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:14 pm

After being rained out and having to go into Hart to do laundry one year (about 20 years ago) I made a vow to spend the money on a good tent. I still have that REI Camp Hut. I can put it up myself, stand in it, and it's a very pretty teal! Sadly, I found some degradation in the rain fly this year - I was dry, but I fear its years are numbed. i will replace it with a REi tent if possible. I hope it comes in purple. ;)

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next