View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Crew workers 

I will be a new crew member (shuttle crew) this year. Just wondering if there is a place on this forum or elsewhere (FB?) where crew workers connect pre-fest?

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

AJo I have been told there is a FB page where crew members past & present can connect.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:27 am

Yeah, I'd heard about a crew FB page, too. But can't find i t!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:40 pm
Site Admin

ajo,,are you regular shuttle or artist shuttle. if regualar we have a page for traffic and shuttle set up but need invite.
friend me on facebook and i can getyou in. welcome to shuttle that is where i wortk.
Bb (Barbara Brust on FB)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:02 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Bb! I will be working on the regular shuttle crew and am really excited about being at Fest in this new role. Though not totally new: back in ~1980 I used my then new Nissan p.u. truck as a shuttle vehicle!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:46 am
Site Admin

there is a crew page tooo.... want me to invite you to that one or are you in now

Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

I've been coming to fest since the mid-90's and have usually been a Craftswoman, selling handmade soaps and herbal bath products. One year I worked as a Massage Therapist. Two years I was just a festie-walk-around-participant, working at the Womb for my shift. I had a grandson at Brother Sun for a few years.

Now, this year I am able to volunteer for long work shift. I haven't been given a definite invite but have been called this week with questions and information so its looking positive. I don't know if there is a follow-up invite via phone or email, but if someone knows I'd appreciate the post.

I volunteered for Holistic Health Care for Workers. I'll be camping in my Conversion Van.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:54 am

This would be my experience: whether they invite you to work or not, they will def. get back in touch with you (my guess would be by email.) And if you have any questions, i think you should feel free to call them. I've never found the "office" to be impatient with any questions regarding crewing for the festival. Hope this helps, and if you a work this Summer you have a wonderful time. (By-the-way, the crew you are applying for is tiny small. It can be a help, especially when you're first applying, to give them as many crew options to assign you to as possible.)

Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:10 am

Well, when i got the email that said i hadn't replied to my invitation I searched high and low and found it! So now I have sent in my confirmation and I'm excited about being on the Land for the whole month!!! Yah.

I see there is a facebook page for crew but I haven't found it. Can someone please send me an invite.

I'll be Worker Healthcare/ Massage (Long) + Healthcare/Womb (Short)

Fri May 10, 2013 9:42 am

This will be my first time on a crew. I really look forward to learning about this different view of experiencing festival!

Thu May 30, 2013 8:47 am

I'm new to crew this year too! I'll be short crew, working at the Box Office. Many moons ago I was a trusted pal (before CCE) so have some vague memory of giving out wrist bands, taking tickets and just enjoying that Monday afternoon. Can't wait to be there!!!

Thu May 30, 2013 3:31 pm

I just got my Crew confirmation yesterday!!! This will be my fourth Fest (in a row) and first as a Crew member! I'll be working Short Crew in Gals Diner/ Worker Kitchen. Super excited and a bit nervous! So about that Facebook group for Crew... Is there a link to it?

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:13 am
Site Admin

if you want an invite to the crew ONLY fb page, friend me on facebook, send me a message as to what crew you are on, and i will get an invite to you.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:36 pm
Profile WWW

JulieinMichigan,

Welcome to crew! Working for the Festival is hard, rewarding work. Long crew is a unique experience, as you will be living in a tent for a month, away from technology and your normal social group, but with an incredible, diverse group of women on the beautiful Land. It may take you a minute to get your bearings on the Land when you first arrive, as the tents and stages that are steady landmarks will not yet be up. The mosquitoes will be bad, and the raccoons crafty, while there are fewer womyn on the Land to distract them.

Your work days will be long, but there is always something fun happening before or after dinner: Frisbee, euchre, a trip to the "ake" [state park nearby with a little swimming beach on a lake], music around a campfire. You will have plenty of solo activities if you want space: read, hike, write letters, go for a bike ride. But don't be shy about joining or starting a group activity. It may seem like everyone else has known everyone else for years, but you'll get there, too, if you jump in and sit with different womyn at meals or ask to join a game of farkle in the twilight.

Be prepared for the emotional arc of the month: I've worked in theater a lot and was used to the build, rehearse, play live for the public, strike and empty the stage cycle, but long crew still caught me off guard with the intensity of emotion. There's excitement as the Land is prepared and stages built, more and more womyn arrive to set up, then the Festival itself is buzzing with energy for a week. In one day, the OLT [on the Land total] plummets and the packing up for next year begins. As each crew finishes their work, the womyn who have become your family head back out into the world. Then you will, too, carrying new knowledge, strength, and friendships with you... until next year.

Enjoy it!
[I'm on short crew this year.]

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:48 am
Site Admin

and let it be known, at least ONCE you will find yourself crying.. we all do... not joy tears but a sadness that i have not been able to name... and at least ONCE you will feel like you are a fish out of water and feel awkward, we all do... the emotions are so amped there.. and as a worker, they are more so i think. and at least a gazillion times, you will feel LOVED.
Bb

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]