View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Coming to Fest on Crutches 

I will probably have hamstring surgery shortly before Fest, and will either be on crutches or just off them. I'm used to doing a lot of walking at Fest. Any helpful hints? I've never been on crutches in my life. Also, where on the website is the DART registration form, in case I need it? Thanks.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:29 pm

The info is here.

http://www.michfest.com/festival/dart.htm

Last time we were there, my kid got injured (not due to Fest) and ended up on crutches. We ended up moving to DART and she did a lot of riding on the DART bus. You have to plan better and it took longer to get places.

Regarding crutches. I assume by then that you'll be a pro but make sure they are sized properly, and that you don't hang on them with your armpits or you'll get bruised.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:13 pm

I walk slowly and for limited distances with a cane, so my experience is probably somewhat similar to what yours will be. I suggest camping in Downtown DART. You can't get any closer in, and the DART crew will be available if you need help. The DART shuttles stop right there, and you will probably want to use them quite a bit. You will likely find that you can't do as many different things each day as you normally would. Getting around the land by shuttle takes some extra time. If you are otherwise healthy, I would plan on one morning and one afternoon activity as a starting point -- plus night stage of course. As a rule of thumb to start with, figure about double the "normal" amount of time for getting places. If you have friends at fest, you can save a lot of time and effort by having them bring you food when they get their own. I bring some nutrition bars along (with raccoon-proof storage!) for the times when I'm too tired or too far away to make it to a meal. Probably most important will be to force yourself to ask for help. If you get over-tired or re-injure yourself, you will ruin your whole day, possibly your whole week. You absolutely do not have to do everything yourself on the land! There are hundreds of womyn who will take pleasure in helping out a sister. Let them.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:50 pm

Whether you camp in DART or even in downtown, register for DART.

You might want to use a shuttle, you can wait on shorter meal lines (and there is a covered space with tables and chairs - might just be easier on crutches), and even if you don't camp in DART, you can ask for help - like if you are just exhausted, you can sit at DART at a table and ask if someone can go and get you some food if you just can't make it.

Also, it might be a lot easier using the DART showers with a solid wood floor than trying to balance on gravel with one good leg. ;o)

If you do camp in DART, you can get help with setting up your tent and getting your gear to/from the shuttle stop. The DART Community Tent is also available (you have to specifically register to use it) if you want to sleep on a cot in a communal tent...I've done it before, and have lived to tell the tale.

And even if you don't use many or any of these services, if you register, you are welcome to do so. It's what DART is there for - and it is for all of us who need it, not just for womyn who are permanently and/or significantly differently abled.

I've come to Fest with injuries before...it's amazing how exhausting it can get just getting around when you have a leg/foot injury in the great outdoors. Those shuttles and the DART food line alone can make the difference between a good fest and a great fest when you are hobbling around.

Good luck and heal well, sister!

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]