View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
phone? or messages? 

I know that I've heard something about there being a phone somewhere on the land (maybe out near the gates??), but I can't find any info about it on the site.

Does anyone know where it is? Is it just a matter of bringing a phone card with me, to use it?

My cat has a rapidly growing tumor, and it would ease my mind to know that I could call and check-in with my pet sitter periodically.

A related question is whether there's any way for my pet-sitter to leave me a message should she need to? (Although I'm sure she could call the fest office, I wouldn't imagine there would be any way for them to contact me...assuming the fest office is even staffed during fest)

Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:49 pm

There are phones between the parking lot and RV, and the Cuntree Store sells phone cards that give the very best efficiency of cost to time available. I call home frequently and have never gone over minutes, even sharing one with a friend as she called home. I believe they are seven dollars, up from five in the past. You have to use a calling card. They are under a white tent and a plywood wall with phones just nailed/screwed into the wall, about eight of them.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 pm

You can get emergency phone messages by calling the office. somebody takes down the messages daily and then if they are for festies, puts them in envelops with the person name on it and then they make it to Traffic workers to put on the message board at the Triangle.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks to both of you! That's very helpful information! And I'm glad I can just buy the phone card on the land... I've had problems before with cards working in one location and not in another, so buying on the land would alleviate that worry as well.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:55 pm

The first year I went to fest I called home to check in. It seemed like it took up a lot of my day. So now I call to let whomever know that I caught all my rides/flights am about to head into the most wonderful place of no cell coverage. I'd ask your cat sitter to call if something big comes up but otherwise enjoy fest. I figure that I can't do much of anything from fest than worry so I check in when I exit. Of course do whatever keeps you the calmest.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:49 pm

it takes about 2-3 hours out of your day to make a call. you can walk out to the phones or take the rural route.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:52 pm

I make sure my cell phone is charged and go once or twice to the parking area right at the treeline & phones. i can usually find a spot where the phone will pick up. If you have a cell, you can have your friend leave or text you updates that you can check when you want. Then if you need to call you can. It takes about 10 minutes to find a spot for cell coverage, but I think it gets better every year.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Okay, way too long spam posts, but did you try to read them?! Kind of amusing/@~amusante!

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:33 am

EL on the Board wrote:
Okay, way too long spam posts, but did you try to read them?! Kind of amusing/@~amusante!

at least this one is in english

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 am
Profile WWW

My cell phone DOES hold a charge for quite a while, so that's not a bad idea either. I'm skeptical about finding a coverage zone, but it couldn't hurt to try....

Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm

I have Verizon and every year make 1 call home. sometimes I can sit on the bench by RV for the Dart shuttle, sometimes I have to walk closer to the main road. all depends on the clarity of the clouds, ozone, etc. I have been sleeping in my truck in RV and got phone calls from people either on the road, or riding a boat across Lake Michigan coming in from Wisc.

yes there are phones you can use, sometimes there can be a wait to use them.

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Workers are saying there's lots of cell reception on the land this year.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]