View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Drum song orchestra 

Hey, does anyone know what's the protocol on bringing instruments if you want to participate in Ubaka Hill's intensive? Don't have a drum, and, would really like to participate. Any precedent or advice?
Thanks

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:22 pm

I've seen them for sale in the crafts area. I plan on buying one for myself this year.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

good question, otter.
i am wondering the same thing...does one have to have a drum of one's own? are there drums to borrow? how about other percussion instruments? i don't recall seeing drums for sale last year in the craft area. i tried writing ubaka hill directly on her website, but the email address was incorrect or something.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:29 pm

I asked on the FB page and it seems you don't have to have your own for the orchestra. The gal who answered me may be selling her drum. Check out the FB page if you haven't already.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:49 pm
Profile WWW

What's the FB page?

Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:57 pm

fb page...There are multiple fb pages about Michigan Womyn's Music Festival .... suggest searching for them and choose which ones you want to view.

Drumsong and drums. Sometimes gals that have been playing in drumsong thru the years have more than one drum and some eve bring an extra to fest and are willing to share. There are no guarantees of this happening, or having a drum available for you every day. Sometimes Ubaka has some loaners...again no guarantee's.

Most likely there might be some hand percussion that someone might lend you...claves (sticks), bells (cow bell and ago-go bell), shakers (Shereke -gourd shakers), basket shakers, and simple things like large pill bottles, a water bottle, or an empty plstic bottle of any type that's comfy in your hand filled with dry beans or popcorn kernals-unpopped 1/4 full maybe...whatever makes a nice sound to you)

Drumsong Started as a week long intensive at Michigan in 1994 and performed that year at August night Cafe on Sunday. Every year since then, they have performed at Acoustic Stage and are open to all skill levels of drummers...

beginning beginners at the very beginning of beginning to those that have been playing with Drumsong since the first workshop offered by Ubaka at the Womyn of Color tent in 1993.

For a decade (1996 - 2005), I taught beginner classes in the morning many years, was an intensive presenter and a week long intensive presenter and to support drumming on land, I ended up making at least four round trips to land to set up/strike drum storage and my campsite and then to bring in drums and hand percussion so that anyone who wanted to get hands on drums...could.

The first year I taught I had next to zero real drums. I taught beginners on computer paper boxes .. the smaller square ones with the lift off lids ....I had so many show up for that class that some gals played the tops and others played the bottoms and folks at triangle thought we were playing real drums.

I used kitty litter buckets and mallets as bass drums ...teaching the parts that are played in African Rhythms on the Dundunba (Djun-Djun). It was a great way for gals to learn...and get hands involved with very little expense. I've seen gals join in a day at drumsong playing on a tupperware container or a giant travel coffee mug...

When there were not enough loaner drums at drumsong for all that wanted to participate, some of the gals learned the rhythm patterns...the hand parts on the computer paper boxes .....some bought drums...and others patiently learned and by the end of the week, often got a chance to borrow a drum for the drumsong performance ...just because of their tenacity, passion, and investment in learning.

Thru the years I invested bit by bit into quite a collection of drums and that was agumented by trust of a couple capable crafts wimmin who lent me part of their inventory to loan morning and after noons at drum central for at least a few days...for gals to give it all a try. It was a crazy notion and a huge amount of responsibility requiring a lot of energy. My last year in 2005, 17 loaners were used in the final drumsong performance including 4 djun-djuns.

Osteoarthritis and hip replacement put an end to my ability to provide that service to the whole fest community...I'm a retired Drum Mama now....my heart still beats and I still walk in rhythm...but it was never a crew...I was allowed to come in as a non-front gate CCE to organize it all and I'm forever grateful for that (I seem to color outside the lines a lot)....

It allowed me to place drums in Gaia and in Sprouts as well as organize the loaner program from Drum Central. I was just one gal who knew the joy of finding family, following the heartbeat, and connecting in the flow of rhythm....

Two years ago there was one craft womyn selling drums. I will give her a call and see if I can connect with her and if she'll be at fest this year.

As things sold in crafts have to be womyn made, some types of drums are definitely not available there.

I will be in line with a few gently used drums for sale opening Monday ...not sure at this point what I will have ..got to check on a couple out as loaners...

Know I have a few middle eastern drums, an African Djembe, a Remo Festival Djembe (or two) perhaps a remo childs djembe, and a Wing of the Heron Djun Djun as well as an assortment of hand percussion and sound shapes....Prices for drums run from $50 for a childs djembe (Remo version) to $600 for the Djun Djun with canvas case, stand, bell and mallets (Yes...it IS Towanda and she is a healing drum for those that know her and originally cost 600 without stand, mallets, case, bell....)

If anyone is interested in a drum,(or mallets) please contact me before fest, please write to me at drummama at comcast.net (at = @, no spaces). I will not sell on land...only on the road and will only bring what there might be interest in..as I won't leave any drum in a vehicle in parking for the week and don't have means and ability to haul drums around land anymore.

Wishing all wannabe drummers a fest most wonderful....may your hands fly and your spirits soar!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 pm

Just off the phone with the womyn drummaker who was last at fest in 2011. She was in the Crafts area from 1997 or 1998 - 2011 and many womyn were able to purchase drums from her.

She has been dealing with medical issues and unable to make product or be at fest last year and this year. She is hoping to be able to return for the 40th.

Unless there are some new drummakers, of ashiko's, djembe's, and djun's... it is unlikely there will be a drummaker in the crafts area to buy from this year.

If you need help in knowing more in looking for a drum before you get to the land, please contact me ....I used to have a whole handout about things to consider in drum selection and can give you some hints....

Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

~~drummerchris~~ here. I'm one of the long-term drumming teachers on the land, and will be teaching a few myself this year, as usual. I do bring some loaner drums for my workshops, and generally, I make them available for DrumSong, as well. I'll repost some of the information i put up on facebook, on the Drum Call!! thread shortly. If you have questions, concerns, etc., feel free to private message me at drummerchrisca at aol dot com.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:39 pm
Profile YIM

(Reposted from DRUM CALL!!)

Okay, so I'm curious and working towards having at least a half dozen (maybe more) loaner drums, plus hand percussion for my workshops and Drum Song Orchestra. It would be helpful if you give me a "shout out" if you need a drum to use (during workshops only), then I can figure out if I can find a way to get a few more drums on the land for y'all. You can private message me, if you like...drummerchrisca at aol dom com

Soon, soon, soon, my friends...

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]