View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
What if it rains when you're arriving. . . 

Remember to line your packs/bags with trash bags or other waterproofing, especially bedding and clothes. . .hopefully, load-in will be LOVELY, but in case it rains, good to have stuff fairly waterproofed. . .also, having a big sheet of plastic folded up/tucked into one of the bags is handy. . .you can pull it out and cover stuff while it is sitting/waiting for a shuttle onto the land.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:12 am

thanks for the reminder sea...

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:27 pm

One of the many uses of Contractor Bags: like black plastic trash bags, but big and (this is important) 3 mil thick. At any hardware store, about $10 for a whole box that will be useful for years. Until opened out, the bag takes up almost no space at all. Tuck one into the outside pocket of a duffle or suitcase, carry one in the bottom of your day pack. If you have extras, they can create more space if you have a small tent: outside your tent, a place to dry-store extra gear (NOT FOOD- raccoons will get it).
Just tuck the end under and-or clip it with one of the handful of clothespins you will also find useful (banner in tree, clothes on line). In your day pack, it can be a ground cloth for sitting. Once in a sudden downpour, I put my daypack and all the clothes I was wearing (!) into the bag, and walked on, naked, but with all my stuff dry!

Michigan summer rains are often "flash" downpours that don't last very long. So if you have time, just tarp or bag your gear and wait to set up your tent till it stops raining. If it looks like it will continue, you can set up a tent in the rain like this IF YOU HAVE PRACTICED WITH THE TENT AT HOME. You can lay out the tent body, then lay the rain fly over it, and put up the tent with the fly lying over top. If you are "flying" a tarp overhead, you would do this first (so have tarp and ropes and what you need to cut the ropes to length, easily accessible. With a tarp overhead, you can proceed as if it's not raining. Remember to slant the tarp down in the direction you want it to drain, and make it taut enough to not pool in the center: the amount of water can be astounding!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Fortunately, Load-in weather is expected to be perfect, but there are no guarantees!

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]