View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Anybody have experience with Automatic Cat Feeders? 

Anybody have any experience with programmable cat feeders that really work for cats? I'd appreciate specific brand names if you have them.

I'm thinking about giving my cat the run of the house with a visitor once or twice during the 10 days I'm gone. I typically feed her 3x's a day when I'm home; have left her for 3 nights with lots of bowls of food which she always finishes before I return. Trying to manage her food intake and prevent her from getting sick from gorging and gaining weight. One friend said to try the gravity feed ones (which are much cheaper), let her eat as much as she wants and eventually she'll get tired of the same old, same old dry food.

Thoughts?

Beka

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Howdy, Beka. . .
I have started using a programmable cat feeder (Catmate 20) for feeding my cat when I'm away/can't feed her twice a day. She's old and eats frozen/raw cat food because of allergies/etc. . .and this feeder seems to do a fine job of keeping food fresh for a day. . . I don't have experience with the gravity feed kind or the kind that have more than two dishes (there are 5-6 dish programmable ones). I think that the gravity feed kind aren't any different than leaving out a really big bowl of dry food. . .
I did some reading of reviews of programmable cat feeders on Amazon and other pet store websites (but bought it locally). . .seems like some work better than others.
You might try putting out a whole bunch of dry food while you're at home and pay attention to how she eats. . .perhaps she paces herself.
Or put out a bunch of bowls of food and have someone come in 3-4 times while you're gone so she doesn't have as much to gorge on at once. . .
Good luck figuring it out. . .please let us know what you do. . .
SKWD

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks SKWD,
Catmate 20 looks better than alot of the others. I'll let you know what I decide - mostly want something that can give desired amount of food for up to 5 days. And dry food is fine at this point.
B

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm

I bought a cat-mate c20 over the weekend. My cat was diagnosed with diabetes so I wanted to spread his eating through the day to keep his blood sugar more steady.

It took him approximately 12 hours and now he can break into it. So, if your cat is highly food-motivated, it may not be the best thing. I'd see if I could bribe a friend to come and check on your kitty!

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks for the tip Nightengale,
I'm still pondering cat plans - even thought about dropping her off at my brother's for a few days. Aphrodite has a bad habit of not always peeing & pooping where she's supposed to; typically happens when I'm not around. She likes to impress me that she's doing the right thing and get positive feedback when I am home.

Ohhh, the life of a cat mistress!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Gals,

Anyone know if there are auto feeders that are raccoon proof? I am thinking about one for a semi-feral cat I feed outside.
I've been hiring a pet sitter when I travel, but that is getting expensive, especially for a feral cat. ;-)

Thanks,
Robin

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]