View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jewish Womyn & Friends 

Wow, we get to be the first topic on the newly spring-cleaned BB.

Nu, my lovely sisters, my efforts have finally paid off: I have been accepted as part of DART crew this year. What this means in a community sense is that I will not be able to organize or lead Shabbat this year. It is time for another leader or leaders to step up. I can give you the info and materials I've compiled, or you can go it on your own. Please post here if you want to email more about this. The next evolution of Michfest Shabbat is poised to happen!

-spark

Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 pm

wow, 232 views & no replies, I hope you got some emails ... I am not Jewish, but Shabbat is one of the things I look forward to most about Fest. The songs, the language, the ritual reach beyond time and space and touch something deep inside me, so I hope it will continue to be a part of the Fest experience. I am willing to help in whatever way is needed just let me know.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 am
Profile WWW

I am not Jewish, but the Shabot Service last year was beautiful, and open to anyone on the Land. Someone please take on this activity.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09 pm

I don't have the ability to put a service together. I hope there is someone out there that can.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 am

I don't have the ability to put a service together. I hope there is someone out there that can.

Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:30 am

Thanks Anna. I am definitely praying you can find a paying job to make it to fest.

Dova

Thu May 08, 2014 3:07 am

Alex: My partner just told me about this thread -- I almost never get on this website. I've always told you that I don't want to lead this service because I cry all through it. However, better to cry through it than to not have it. I will register two workshops -- the Shabbat service itself, and a planning workshop -- that way anyone who wants to work together to plan it can. I can lead a service, but I want all the help I can get. See you all in August.

Sun May 18, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you Beth!! I will be around to help & check this board several times a day, so we could do some pre-planning if needed. I cry through the whole thing as well :-)

Mon May 19, 2014 1:04 am
Profile WWW

FYI for those who don't know that Anna (who said she'd lead the service if she can afford it to fest) is studying to be a rabbi.

Dova

Mon May 19, 2014 2:51 am

I'd pitch in $20 to help a fellow clergywomyn get home! I know it's not much, but I bet there are others who would also pitch in!

Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 am
Profile WWW

If Anna can get there, terrific. I have no need to be in charge. The more of us who share ideas, the more this Service will be. Alex, I know we need help with timing -- how do you get Lecha Dodi to always match up w the Femme Parade? Also, what supplies do I need to pack -- wine, grape juice, tin baking pan for candles, candles, cups for wind/juice, ... what am I forgetting? Please, All, let's put our heads and hearts together in planning, so that the Service is a product of our community, not of one person. I'm going to ask that the planning workshop be scheduled for Thurs, so that as many people as possible will be on the Land to be there. Thanks everyone.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Beth & other planners,

I have just (as in Saturday) moved, so I am exhausted & scattered. However, I wanted to chime in on the conversation.

Thank you to those who are planning to help make Shabbat continue to happen. I would suggest/recommend that you request the DART workshop tent for your 2 registrations, so that all who wish to can participate. Fest has never turned this down. I list a 1.5 hour workshop time in the programme, but we always go over.

Beth, I don't know how I time things...it is always an adventure. Years of practice, maybe? I had a class in how to teach/lead a service that was well worth the $$. I always end up editing what comes next in the moment, since circumstances continually change. Very different from leading a regular service in a building at a prescribed time. One piece of advice: unless there's an earthquake or other major earthly disaster, start on time. On average we've had 70+ attendees, more if it's raining.

My packing list for Shabbat has annually included: a large box of 72 candles, a candle-lighter, a disposable foil baking pan to fill w/sand for holding the candles (VERY important so we follow fest's safety rules with open flame in a tent), cups, grape juice, wine, some kind of Rubbermaid bin for the bimah, a cloth cover for said bin, Shabbat candle holders, challot, challah cover, Kiddush cup, a tzedakah box, and prayer books/song sheets. Usually some womyn will offer to bring some of the above items, but make certain to get confirmation just prior to fest & arrange how they will get stuff to the service. If you'd like music, be sure to put out the word early & coordinate w/ musicians on which songs, where in the service, etc.

I have developed a binder of the readings & service outline that I would be happy to share if you'd find it helpful. Use any, all or none of it at the group's choosing. I have the group Kiddush cup & challah cover, both of which were donated by lovely womyn over the years. I can bring those for somebody to pick up at my site, as I will be in DART at the usual spot.

I obviously have no idea of my crew work schedule until I'm on the Land, but will attend Shabbat if I can. Ditto Havdallah. Somebody want to take that on as well? Short commitment, no pre-registration required.

Happy planning!
-spark

Mon May 19, 2014 2:27 pm

Hello!

I'm a guitarist with experience accompanying Shabbat services.

I know Reform liturgy, a few Hebrew chants, and some Jewish womyn's folk songs.

I'd be glad to coordinate with whoever is interested in planning the service (maybe with Spark's materials?) to work out which music to practice.

Hedge

Tue May 27, 2014 11:45 pm

beth wrote:
Alex: My partner just told me about this thread -- I almost never get on this website. I've always told you that I don't want to lead this service because I cry all through it. However, better to cry through it than to not have it. I will register two workshops -- the Shabbat service itself, and a planning workshop -- that way anyone who wants to work together to plan it can. I can lead a service, but I want all the help I can get. See you all in August.

Beth, I am working on getting there, and would love to co-lead. I am going to be coming from another retreat, and am not sure what I will be able to bring with me - I am working on getting a ride from CT . . .

Thanks for taking the initiative to register the two workshops - the service and the planning workshop. Contact me if you would like to do some planning before Fest,

Anna
Rad Rav

Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next