View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
questions about flying 

next year will be my first time flying to fest (actually Chicago) I have two bags, one is a 36" duffel and the other is a fairly large soft suitcase. Both will weigh under 50 lbs. I know I can't bring propane, but what about those little fuel cubes? What have you been able to take/not take and what are your experiences.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 am
Profile WWW

I'd call the airline directly and ask them. Sounds like you'll be traveling from Chicago to Fest by car, so I'd just buy those things along the way. Hart gets sold out of a lot of camping supplies, but there are lots of places once you get into Michigan.

Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:04 am

tropidyke. . .
I assume that you can't take any kind of fuel, solid or liquid, on the plane. And, I'd check with the airline about taking a campstove. . .sometimes they don't allow stoves that have been used, only brand new stoves without any fuel. Check with specific airline.
I will be driving to fest and can always bring you fuel and/or a stove. . .let's check in as it gets close next year. . .
Hugs!
SKWD

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks seakayak - my stove consists of a small metal folding box no bigger than 3x5" and it uses these small fuel pellets the size of sugar cubes. Boils water in 5 minutes. ! It would cost pennies to ship it to you.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:04 am
Profile WWW

Hi, Tropidyke, I don't know if mailing those stoves/fuel is a good idea, either. I have one like that (coghlan's brand, can't find my esbit brand one which is sturdier/better), and can easily bring it and fuel pellets for you to fest. . . I will probably be bringing that kind of stove to make tea for my new sweetie (assuming I can get her to fest next year). . .glad you're figuring out how to make your gear more minimalist and your trip more fun!
SKWD

Last edited by seakayakwitchdyke on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:37 am

Will you be in Chicago for a day, or are you just renting a car at the airport and driving to fest right away? There are several stores in Chicago where you can probably buy the fuel you need. REI has a store in the Lincoln Park neighborhood (north side), also I think in the suburb of Schaumburg not too far from O'Hare airport. There's a Sports Authority in the Lakeview neighborhood (about a mile north of REI) and probably some in the suburbs. There's an LL Bean in the suburb of Skokie (northern suburbs, east of O'Hare). If you're coming into O'Hare rather than Midway, you can actually drive to most of these places on you're way to fest without going too much out of your way.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm flying into Midway, spending the night at The Urban Artists Retreat then heading out Monday morning. Thanks but I think I have a solution.

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm
Profile WWW

You get to know what you need and what you don't as you get used to flying. I love good coffee, but I deal with the Saints and whatever else I can get on the Land (my neighbors were great coffee suppliers this year! I just had to buy a mug) because the space/weight/rules around bringing stuff to make it myself isn't worth it to me. And, you might not need an air mattress, perhaps a Thermarest or other lighter option works for you. Personally, though that double air mattress is one of the heaviest individual things I pack, I'd never give it up. I can't really sleep or get comfy at night otherwise. So I lug it to and fro each year. But YMMV, and my must-haves/leave-homes might not be yours.

I buy a cheap tarp each year and donate it to fest instead of bringing it home. I use a cheap, thin bath towel (I actually bought a crappy one because it is so much lighter ;o), and sometimes I toss it and buy a new one for $3 next year...a damp towel sometimes weighs more than you want going home. I use scrubby gloves at home instead of washcloths, I use a pair for about a year, and then I bring the old pair to Fest and toss them there when done. I try not to do this with lots of stuff, as women have to deal with the garbage left behind, even if it is properly placed in receptacles...

I use a huge day pack as my carry-on in addition to the 2 bags I check (I also carry my chair as a personal item), and put the heavy things (D-cell batteries/fan/air mattress pump) in it instead of in my checked luggage (sometimes I buy batteries on the Land...but I had a few this year so I took them, I only use them there!). I also end up with many of the things I buy in crafts in that pack too (esp CDs, they can add up to a lot of weight).

I posted my packing list, as have others, on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8351

...I know you saw it tropidyke, because you commented in that thread, but I wanted anyone looking for that info to have it all in one place.

The best suggestion I can give you is to camp next to friends who have a patio space...especially if you can't string a tarp up and create some dry space for you to sit outside your tent. You can't bring a huge tent if you fly, and having to lay down in your tent all the time as the only choice at your site in the rain gets old fast...

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:50 pm

thanks jillith - I've eliminated the airmattress/pump/battery weight by going with a thermarest & an 8lb. cot. I never take a towel, I use my sarong. I was going to buy a chair on the road trip up from Chicago, I didn't know I could take one on the plane (a folding one like they sell at Fest ?) Since I bought a new tent with a great fly that goes all the way down to the ground, I'm eliminating tarps & may take some thin drop cloths just in case. I camp way up in the woods, so my esbit stove & fuel cubes are essential for my morning coffee :-) but they're no bigger than a small paperback book, so I'm mailing it to myself in Chicago. I'm loving the challange of minimum packing after schlepping so much weight before. wow ! I can't believe I'm dreaming about next year already !

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:17 pm
Profile WWW

I don't know about the chairs that fold flat on the plane. I have a chair that folds up into a bag, a sand/beach version of a captains chair. I like a chair with arms and a cup holder, butthe ones without are even smaller an lighter.

I have this one (it's on sale, as it was when i bought one): http://www.rei.com/product/847188/rei-camp-x-chair-low

This is the one w/out arms: http://www.rei.com/product/765270/rei-c ... -low-chair

For the super minimalists among us (who still need to sit up off the ground): http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool

If you don't need a chair off the ground, though, you can always sit on a small tarp/throw like this: http://www.hammacher.com/product/81157

(I also bring a Neat Sheet (which Rubbermaid unfortunately doesn't make anymore). I like to put my chair and backpack on top of it at night stage, and visitors often cop a squat on it at stages.)

Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:39 am

I think I'll solve the chair problem by buying a cheap beach chair at Meijers on the way up then donating it to the Art Retreat when I return to Chicago. I already have that stool for around the tent sitting and I love it. I'll probably also use the stool for workshops when I leave the other chair near night stage.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:14 pm
Profile WWW

If you aren't flying on Southwest with 2 free checked bags, consider an airline affiliated credit card as they provide for a free checked bag these days. That's a big savings and the credit card should be free for a year. Cancel it before paying a membership fee (you can cancel it anytime within 30 days of getting charged an annual fee and the fee is cancelled). You'll get bonus miles too, although those seem harder and harder to use these days. I get and cancel credit cards for miles pretty often and it doesn't seem to hurt my credit score and despite the threat of taking the miles away, it never happens.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:00 pm

thanks for all the advice - I'm now flying into GR - and I've found a womyn who is lending me a chair at fest. I will have to pay for luggage but really don't want to mess with any more credit cards as I'm working real hard on getting the ones I have down and gone !

Thu May 15, 2014 7:48 pm
Profile WWW

I've only flown once, but the most memorable part of that was the flight back: Be prepared for your stuff to acquire moisture and dirt, and therefore be a couple to a few pounds heavier than on the way to fest. Kind of a nasty surprise that would have been expensive, if it weren't for a generous counter agent.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:41 pm

luggage is a whole new thing for me this trip (train (up to 5 pieces) vs plane (2) I'm making every effort to stay well under the weight in both bags. Quite a challenge and I'm sure I'll make several trips to the BIG scale at the grocery store to double check.

Mon May 19, 2014 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next