View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Front Gate 

First-timers trying to plan for Monday arrival & set-up. I read that you can line up to enter at 1p. Then I saw someone is selling food to those in line starting at 5:30am. So, what are we looking at? Are folks lining up as early as 5:30a for 1pm entry? How long is this line, wait? Is it better to just come later in afternoon/evening? Any advice or suggestions would be soooo helpful. Thx, N

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:54 pm

Worth it or not depends on you....

some womyn will start a "pre-line" by camping in the woods near the road as early as Friday (I'm not that attached to being 1st in line)

"The Line" is an experience all its own! The 1st year I went we got there about 3AM on Monday and we were about car 275. Last year I got in line around 12AM and I was about car 125 and there were cars following right behind us. The road we line up on is about 3 miles (I think) and I've walked all the way back and seen cars on cross road waiting to get on "the road."

There is no “official” line up time, it’s up to the deputy on duty as to when we can start putting the cars in line. A few things to remember:
1. Bring toilet paper & bag for the used paper – the woods is your loo for the night & Monday morning
2. The road we line up on is a PUBLIC road with a 55 MPH speed limit & the locals often drive at or above that speed limit. Keep that in mind when you walk from where you are parked to the front of the line to see just how far back you are
3. You must pull your car all the way over, as far off the road as possible.
4. Leave your flashers on until another vehicle pulls in behind you.
5. If you camp (as in set up a tent) you must set up well into the woods, not just right off the road.
6. If you sleep in your car you might want to bring mosquito netting so you can leave your windows open.
7. There are often womyn selling baked goods & coffee and other goodies in line Monday morning.
8. Be sure to pack food for Monday. The gates open at 1pm, but it can take a while to actually get through the gates, unload, go through orientation & work shift sign-ups, get your gear to your campsite and set up – Dinner (usually hummus, cheese or veggie sandwiches & salad) is served from 4:30-6:30 and I’ve not made it down to the kitchen yet
9. Some sisters will also be selling craft items to help raise money for their ticket and/or spending money (no selling of items is allowed inside the gates unless you are official crafts womyn)
10. Soak up the love and specialness of this gathering of this one-of-a-kind experience!

some womyn like to get there and just sail on through, if that fits you then I'd suggest coming on Tuesday

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:11 pm
Profile WWW

oh yeah, there is also a pre-fest concert at the Comfort Inn in Hart Sunday night, keep an eye on the BB for ticket info. Last year tickets were $12. Several womyn will stay there and get in line Monday morning.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:13 pm
Profile WWW

I know FB, but what is BB? Thanks, twt

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:41 pm

sorry, Bulletin Board (ie, this forum)

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:00 pm
Profile WWW

I am a CCE (camper come early) and get on the land on Sunday in order to be one of the womyn working helping you on Monday. However the one thing I miss is the line up. I would get there midnight and get in line. Too excited to sleep we walk the line and socialize with friends new and old. At some point grab a couple of hours sleep in the car and in the morning there are womyn selling food and trinkets and coffee usually. The line is an experience in and of itself. If I couldn't be a CCE I would definitely get in line early. My first year I got in line at 6am and didn't get to the camping area until after dinner.

BB is this bulliten board

Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. Worth it...that's the question. Sounds amazing, but I think my partner & I (as excited as we are about this) are probably not the types to hang out for that long and get such little sleep. The experience sounds amazing but not one you can make work without some sacrifice...that much time and that little sleep just seems too much. I can stand in line for hours...and I can get up at 3am to see a meteor shower, but I don't think I can drive after dark (3hrs from South Bend) in the middle of the night and sleep in the car (Honda Accord)...then say, be in line for over 24hrs before the gates open...and add to that whatever happens after the gates open...which looks like many more hours. Wow! The info on getting there at 6a and not getting to camp until after dinner, put me over the edge. Oh well...guess it's good to know where you stand.

P.S. That said, what does the experience look like if we show up Tuesday at 7am?

THANKS (:

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:34 pm

I've gotten in line Mondays at 1pm most years - traveled down the road ( 2-3 hours) depending on the year (4+ hours on anniversary years) - this year should be a fairly short line at 1pm - I'm at triangle ready to set up by 4:30-5:30pm

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:58 pm
Profile WWW

I've done the "get in line at 6am on Monday" version, the "get in line at 5pm on Monday" version, the "arrive at 7am on Tuesday" version, and the "arrive mid-day on Tuesday" version. All have their pros and cons. The early morning in line on Monday does make for a very long day. Arriving at 7am on Tuesday, or most anytime on Tuesday means almost no line, and almost no wait to get shuttled onto the land. . .it also means missing Monday night films, and possible Tuesday morning workshops (although last year I arrived at 7am on Tuesday, left all my stuff in my car, shuttled in, went to a 9am-noon workshop, then shuttled back out to schlep in all my stuff/set up camp. . .very easy).

This year, I'll probably do the "camp at Claybanks on Sunday night, sing on the beach with singing circle womyn Sunday evening, sleep in on Monday, hang out at the beach on Monday, arrive at the line at 4-5pm, walk most of my stuff in on my cart/backpack, set up camp" version. . . I'll have my campsite set up by dark and will have had a fun/restful day. And, I'll go back out to the car on Tuesday for any extra stuff I didn't schlep in.

Have fun figuring out what version works best for you!!! Mostly, have fun anticipating the fabulousness of fest!!!

SKWD

Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 am

Yes, whatever work for you is right - I've learned to arrive relaxed and rested,, thus the overnight warm bed on Sunday night, leisure ride up from GR after a warm breakfast and shopping. Same with the return trip - lunch in Pentwater on Monday, hot shower & soft bed in GR before getting on plane on Tuesday.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am
Profile WWW

Regarding your question about Tuesday morning--the only real line is on Monday because the gates don't open until afternoon, so, as you have read, there are people who line up way earlier (I have done it a couple of times--not my favorite thing). On Tuesday and the rest of the week, the gates open in the morning (I think 8am but you'd have to check the schedule) so there isn't really a line (sometimes a bunch of cars entering at the same time, but nothing like Monday). On Mondays, usually by about 5pm, the line has thinned out a lot, but there still may be a wait time. If you really don't want to wait in line, arriving Tuesday morning is definitely better than any time on Monday.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am

As to "how long is this line".... the Opening Monday Line can be as long as 3 miles or more...all the way from the front gate, down the dirt road outside fest and even out on Madison.

The stop and go of the slow moving line once the gates open can be hard on a vehicle engine and eats gas. It can be tedious and time consuming once the line starts slowly moving.

All that said...the morning in the line is "great fun" and a marvelous way to meet a few strangers and grow a few friends into smiling faces and many encounters with said new friends once you get into the bigger and wider spread spaces of the woodlands/meadows and fields of fest.

It is indeed a preferred way for many to start fest. For others, especially mom's with small children who aren't content stuck in a car/carseat
doing little and moving slowly arriving later on Monday (after 4 or 5) often means a much shorter wait on the road and safe open meadow with many loving/caring supportive Aunties" in which to move about while waiting for a shuttle.

Yes indeed, having food and water handy on opening Monday is important in ones planning.

Whenever one arrives, there are pros and cons to the arrival time, and having done everything from being allowed inside before the front gates open as an intensive presenter to arriving on final Sunday morning (arriving as soon as the gates open so as to not miss a thing in a one day fest) ...any time spent "on land" is well worth the experience!

Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:44 am

I'd emphasize the safety notes on the Line. Be very aware of possible fast local traffic. One year several women spent Fest in the hospital due to getting hit while doing the Line. Be alert and stay well to the side.

As a worker, I never had to decide about doing the Line. But I've worked Orientation shifts, and seen the throngs on Monday. I hear you who need to arrive rested, and think you are right that you personally would do better to arrive after the throng. Incidentally, those who do arrive early and get set up: doing a work shift at Orientation is very rewarding, feels good to give a hand to hot, thirsty, tired women who are navigating arrival: they are so grateful for your drinks of water, watching their day pack, offering welcomes and smiles. AND it's a workshift already DONE before there are a lot of other events you want to attend.

And moms: Check with Sprouts childcare, if your child is registered there: there is probably a chance to park the kidlet(s) while you get your campsite set up.

Drink lots of water. Take things slow-- and you'll be fine.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:49 pm

If you don't want to wait in line a long time, you can still come on Monday. Plan on arriving after 4:00 pm or so and the wait will be minimal. If you come in then you will have time to set up before dark but will definitely miss dinner.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:45 pm
Profile YIM

When I have arrived on Monday, I and my gear have been transported directly from the front gate to the bus stop at over 50s.
Is this service available on Tuesday? (express front gate to over 50s). The reason I ask is because it would be a real hassle to have to unload & reload to get to my destination, over 50s. I have done the line many times, and don't think I have it in me again this year. The idea of breezing in on Tuesday is starting to really appeal to me, if only I could find out the answer to this question. Thank you in advance for the answer.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next