View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Connecting with Old Dykes 

Forgive me if this is a double post....I wrote it and posted this morning; my computer was still 'working' on transmitting when i left for work. Now home, I do not see it. Maybe it's tucked somewhere, so sorry if this is a repeat.

One of my favorites experiences last year was the Herstory of Mich Fest sharing! Old dykes from the early days shared about the intent, vision and experiences of a place for wimmin to come and recreate a world, womyn's world, that is radically different than Patriarchy. They spoke of all the consciousness raising that womyn were committed to (all the challenging of -isms) and they spoke in such an inspirational way that most of the time I was in tears as I listened. I learned that Alice Walker was the first one on the land to call out wimmin for using 'guys' to refer to one another. I have been battling that one for years now too; it was heartening to know how long that battle of our erasure has been going on. I missed the days of the Second Wave by a decade, but/and I've gravitated to Radical Lesbian Feminists for years now, seeking inspiration, hope and courage as well as strategy for how to survive 'out there'. I returned home last year and read Bonnie's Eden Built By Eves--again, feeling like my presence and action in the world is part of a huge Lineage of Radical Feminism. As the year has progressed, I 've been longing to connect with the Old Dykes of Mich Fest again.
Are there any of you who'd like to connect sometime during the Festival? Is there a place you all hang out? :-) May i come hang out some too? It would do my heart good. I plan to attend Sarah's Radical Feminism workshop for sure and also wanted to see if we could meet in a less structured setting.
Thank you for all you did and do.
Phoenixx

Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:39 pm

I would love that as well. This will be my 3rd fest & I've read stories on-line, but I'd love to hear some retelling in person.

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:46 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Phoenixx,
Well, at 50, I don't think I qualify as an "old dyke" just yet! However, my first fest was 1989 and I was actually there at Acoustic stage when Alice Walker gave that herstoric address about what happens when we use "you guys". I would be happy to connect with you and unityinme and talk about the earlier days of fest and whatever else, I am sure we could trade some good stories. Maybe we could meet up for dinner early in the week?
Aradia

Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:37 pm

There is usually at least one workshop devoted to fest history & reminiscing. Maybe I'll see you there! My first fest was in 1978, on the "old land" in Hesperia.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:14 pm

If I make it to Fest, I'll probably attend the Radical Feminist workshop. I am a Radical Feminist. Although my first Fest was in 2011, came in 2012, couldn't come last year, hope to come this year, I feel our work is gaining traction in the wider world.

I camp in RV, I now have a Shadow Cruiser. The name is printed on the front in big letters, so I can be easily found. I'm going to put out a sort of schedule of where I'll be during the week if anyone wants to come by. Also, you'll be able to add your name and when you came by if I miss you. You can note where you'll be if you want, so we can meet up!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am

Wow, that sounds like a really awesome workshop! I was planning on going to the RF workshop too, but now I have another one to look forward to.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Hi, Aradia et al! Thanks for your responses and enthusiasm! Just to be clear, Saria, I am not proposing a workshop. I'm just putting the call out for Old Dykes who may naturally be hanging out together and who may not mind me (maybe others) sitting in around the campfire (or table, circle or wherever) to listen/absorb/learn of their life experiences.
Yes, let's figure out how/where we might meet up earlier in the week. Otter and I will be arriving late Monday, so maybe we can find one another sometime on Tuesday? Maybe in the area of 'over 50's'?

Phoenixx

Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

Hi Phoenixx,
I could meet up with you for Dinner on Tuesday. Ohhh ahhhh ..... Nut Loaf !!!!!!!
6 ish would be good for me. Watermelon tree? I mean, the tree formerly known as the watermelon tree.
2 weeks to go!!! [squeals with excitement]
Aradia

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 am

Sorry for the delayed response. Our arrival time has changed, so it's not going to work to meet for dinner Tuesday. Sorry!! How about we find one another at either the Radical Feminism workshop, one of the Revivals with Carolyn or the Herstory workshop and then plan something from there?
How might I recognize you, Aradia? I'm pretty ordinary looking; I usually wear a red bandana in my hair to keep it out of my eyes. My ancestry is Northern European/Scandenavia.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:51 pm

One thing I loved last year was the clothesline out side the over 40's tent where there were laminated stories of 'older lesbians' who had attended fest or contributed to our herstory. I really hope they continue this every year.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Phoenixx,
I won't be able to attend the Radical Feminism workshop but would love to get a detailed report back from you!! You should be able to find me pretty easily since I will be teaching stiltwalking in area 16, and will be there from 12:40 to 4:30ish. If you can swing by & make contact with me there, that would be awesome. The rest of the week I will be spending most of my time in DART, so if we happen to miss each other on Weds, the DART office staffers can usually point me out or at least where my tent is (across from Crafts).

Good luck with your preparations and travels :-)
Aradia

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:07 pm

Yes, I will stop by and see you at the stilt walking on wednesday, Aradia. (that is the one workshop i long to do and haven't been able to make it work!)
Safe travels to all!
Phoenixx

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Great Phoenixx,
I am sujper amped - I have to leave my apt at 4 30 am tomorrow to catch my flight from Vancouver... keeping my fingers crossed that I can sweet-talk the flight attendants to letting me bring a cheap guitar (I picked it up for $60) on board as carry-on! We'll see.... wish me luck & I'll see you On The Land! Good travels to you, too - Aradia

Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]