View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Where are you camping? 

I think I've camped everywhere except Family Camping, DART, and the Zone. I even was able to camp in Worker RV one year. My favorite spots are Bread & Roses (for all the reasons listed by tmbiggar above) and Over 50s (simply for nearness to Downtown). I still haven't decided where to camp this year. I love camping close to friends in B&R but this year, will be very active at the August Nite Cafe, both teaching and learning, so I'm favoring the convenience of Over 50s.

WHEREVER you camp, do schedule in time later in the week to take what I call the Parade of Tents Tour. It is so much fun to view the clever and outrageous encampments of others. You may then better understand WHAT MC Elvira references when she talks about our bizarre Festie nesting behaviors.

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:54 am

My first year I camped in the Ferns. It was close to RV, where my friends were camping & was pretty peaceful. It WAS a bit of a walk to get to everything, but I got used to taking my stuff and dumping at the triangle or I just picked up when I went back for my after lunch nap. I'm thinking I'll try the solo camping area this time & do a little more exploring than I did the first time. Last night I dreamed about sleeping on land, under the stars & lush green canopy of leaves! Then I woke up for real in my bed & had to get ready for work. Counting the days, hours, seconds until I'm back there again!

Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

Where is the meditation circle? I have a really hard time picking where to camp. I really like quiet and not having neighbors on top of me...but I have some foot problems and really should spare myself the long walks. Also I would like to be able to get to my tent to pick up or drop off stuff during the day, easily. I usually camp way up in Amazon Acres, but rarely return to my tent except to sleep. I was told (by Roar-thanks honey!) to camp at the outer edges of DART, toward over 50's (I am eligible for that area). But I am worried that it will be too loud. I also have trouble sleeping with noise. I use earplugs, but if I can still hear anything, I don't fall asleep usually. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 am

I camp close in (either Over 50s or near Womb Way/Easy Street) and the closer you are to Lois Lane in Downtown, the louder it is. It is especially loud if you are across from a reefer truck as they go on and off all night. It is convenient, but folks are camped very close together here...if you need quiet and space, I can't recommend it. I'm an urban creature who wears ear plugs at Fest, though, and I love it.

I miss where I used to camp, further out, but that might be a a good spot for you. In Bush Gardens, before you get to Triangle, not far from the pod of janes, there's a short bit of a path off the main wood-chipped path into a clearing of sorts. I used to camp in there, back before my ankle got worse. It's near showers, water and janes; far enough from Triangle to be a bit quieter but close enough to catch shuttles if you need them. It is across the road/near Drum Central, but they usually don't start until 9am and they aren't there at night (because they are near the Triangle Fire Pit). It's Chem OK, but across the road is both Bread & Roses (Chem Free) and Amazon Acres (Quiet) if you prefer those options.

If you need/prefer the quiet and space, you will probably have to resign yourself to using shuttles if your foot does not allow for a lot of walking.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:19 pm

meditation circle is quite a trek up past all the workshop areas and close to treeline. I wouldn't recommend it if a long walk is going to be a problem.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:35 pm
Profile WWW

I camp in Over 50's, and it can be very noisy (especially near Easy Street because many people walk that way as a short-cut). The nice thing about the location is that it's so close to various stages, crafts, community center, and kitchen, but the trade-off is the noise. You'll just have to figure which works better for you--short walks or more quiet.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 pm

hi again stillfire! I camp "downtown" where ROAR suggested, on the no name boundary lane between Over 50"s and extended family camping across Lois Lane from Sprouts and Gaia. I can attest to Elaine W and Jillith's advisory that it is noisy. I would emphasis that by saying it's actually loud. The Pussy Pirates hold down the bermuda triangle just past the over 50"s stop. They party LATE into the night and are often very loud. I love those gals, and it's no judgement, just a fact. The nights of dances at August Night? Doesn't matter if you don't go, if you camp downtown, its in your tent. I like music and the sounds of womyn having a good time so it doesn't bother me. The WOC tent is also in the mix, and those gals have their own thing going on and its often the most interesting thing happening, audibly speaking. The Patio is an underutilized mixing space, IMHO.

The above is just a description of nighttime noises. The early morning hours are dedicated to unhappy children. Dawn brings families stirring and the interface of 18mos-2yrs old humans and their mothers. This is safe space for womyn and children and most families with young children camp here because of the wonderful resources available.

Based on what you outline as important, I don't recommend downtown because of the noise, nor out past the labyrinth and meditation circle because its a hike.

Have you thought about Midway? There is shuttle service on the Rural, and it is quiet. The walking distance is really only an additional 8 minutes from Triangle, if your feeling up to it. I'm a new yorker so my tolerance of both noise level and walking distance is pretty high. Plus, we will be under a nearly full moon, so the ambient light will brighter at night. Bread and Roses is also very accessible if you can abide the chem free requirements, but Triangle drumming is a nighttime heartbeat, more than not.

I hope you find the most perfect spot! Great rest, great fest!

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Hi again Artemis! And thank you everyone for all the great feedback and suggestions. I remember camping once near the janes up on the border between chem-free and jupiter jumpoff i think. it was more convenient to get to downtown than way over at midway or down workshop walk toward the kitchen (where i have camped for last few). but i am pretty sure i found the movies at night and the drumming to be pretty loud. Maybe in the farther reaches of this area? Would still be closer to downtown but maybe quieter than close to triangle.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:45 am

What about Bush Gardens towards over 5o's? Os it very crowded/loud there or maybe a compromise from way out in Crone Hgts vs DART/over 50's noise? Thanks!

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2